On Thursday (Day Two of Open Mobile Summit) Iain, Sergejs and I had the privilege of an unscheduled Q&A with Nokia’s EVP, MeeGo Computers: Alberto Torres who had just finished a Keynote Speech on “Transforming Nokia” and a panel on “Platforms Vs Networks”.

Link contains a vimeo video and transcript (or attempt of, as room wasn't the best for Q&A).

Cheers

CLICKY

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to JayMontano For This Useful Post:
Posts: 349 | Thanked: 309 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ PS/IL
Conclusion:
  • MeeGo phone being announced this year
  • MeeGo phone will push the boudaries of processing power
  • MeeGo phone will be a very high end product
  • MeeGo is an opportunity to create something well beyond what others are doing
  • MeeGo phone is step 5 of 5 and intended for mass market
  • MeeGo phone will be something everyone wants to own
  • MeeGo phone will try to satisfy all needs into one plate
  • MeeGo phone will be capacitive, more stylish and more beautiful with simpler UI that average users will find as equally compelling as tech leaders.
  • MeeGo has potential to be something deeper than typical smartphone
  • Maemo apps not directly backwards compatible with MeeGo
  • Nokia N8 will be Nokia’s flagship in a few months
  • All future flagships will be built on MeeGo
  • MeeGo phone will be on Nseries (not rumoured Sseries)
  • MeeGo will have higher experience level than Symbian
  • Symbian^3 and MeeGo will have certain minimum base level specification to ensure apps created on one device works in another.
  • N8 is first step in reclaiming momentum at high end.
  • MeeGo is the next step.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Chrome For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Chrome View Post
Conclusion:[*]MeeGo phone will push the boudaries of processing power[*]Maemo apps not directly backwards compatible with MeeGo
Moorestown?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by KapCaveman View Post
Moorestown?
I really, really hope not.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 322 | Thanked: 305 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by KapCaveman View Post
Moorestown?
Don't really don't think so
Why did they want to have arm compatibility for meego then?

Last edited by bbin; 2010-05-29 at 12:46.

Posts: 129 | Thanked: 321 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Finland (Turku)
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
It's still Intel though. It would really be interesting to see some benchmarks and battery tests, Moorestown versus OMAP and Snapdragon for example.

However, I guess it's really difficult to do this kind of testing, as there are no Moorestown products yet, nor the testing software.

Originally Posted by Stonik View Post
It's still Intel though. It would really be interesting to see some benchmarks and battery tests, Moorestown versus OMAP and Snapdragon for example.

However, I guess it's really difficult to do this kind of testing, as there are no Moorestown products yet, nor the testing software.
I would really like to see the Moorestown(that i believe is Z6xx series since the May announcement) inside phone, but it wont happen at least with the first Nokia Harmattan/MeeGo phones.

I have been waiting Harmattan before i joined this community and this doesn't make the wait any easier.

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Quoted for thruth..

[URL="http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1650925/nokia-meego-device-arm-chip"/URL]

First device will be ARM

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
trialling a N8.

S. So maybe you won’t be able to talk about N8, but maybe you can talk about what you like and dislike about Nokia N900.

AT: I think that the N900- I’m going to have to go after this one – what I really like about the N900 is so many things. I think the multitasking as an element to the UI is very powerful. I think the browsing experience is excellent. I think the speed that it works is very good. I think there are some things I don’t like so much. The resistive screen, the touch side is not as good as it needs to be. Obviously it will be better in MeeGo. The interface is good but you can get lost occasionally on that. And I think again, it was really developed for technology leaders. We are going to make it (MeeGo) just a touch simpler so your average consumer can find it equally compelling. That has to be the key thing. And then the other bit are two things. Make it more stylish and more beautiful.

Very well said!!!