After 3 months, my 770 gives in to WSOD.

I called nokia and they asked me to send the unit in and I'd have to wait. Does anyone know at this point whether they are still repairing the 770, simply replace it with n800, or refund?

Posts: 919 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ /dev/null
Originally Posted by cw3 View Post

I called nokia and they asked me to send the unit in and I'd have to wait. Does anyone know at this point whether they are still repairing the 770, simply replace it with n800, or refund?
They are repairing it as far as I know, I doubt they will give you a N800, No Refund unless you go thru hell and they finally decide to refund you.

Last edited by SeRi@lDiE; 2007-03-25 at 02:11.

Originally Posted by SeRi@lDiE View Post
They are repairing it as far as I know, I doubt they will give you a N800, No Refund unless you go thru hell and they finally decide to refund you.
Thanks for the info SeRi@lDiE. Yikes, let's hope it doesn't happen again after the one year warranty, otherwise it'd ended up being a pretty expensive to own...

Does anyone know of a way to use the screen outside the device?

It is a beautiful little screen - probably ideal for a unix console, for instance - but I'm living in fear that it will WSOD on me because of the controller. The lack of speed / opera bugs / etc. means that my poor 770 now annoys me and I'd rather salvage the screen as a small second display / terminal display for my server, etc.

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Madrid, Spain
Originally Posted by cw3 View Post

I called Nokia and they asked me to send the unit in and I'd have to wait. Does anyone know at this point whether they are still repairing the 770, simply replace it with n800, or refund?
Hi cw3

I had my Nokia 770 from May 2006 until Feb 2007 and was very happy with unit before I got my WSOD. Re-flashing the OS whilst successful, did not correct the WSOD problem. I spoke with Nokia help desk early last week, as a consequence a got a next day call-back, then a courier collection from home address, on Thu 22nd March.
( I am in UK ATM)

I sent my Nokia 770 in it’s original box with charged battery, battery cover and stylus, but nothing more. I also included a dated letter with details of WSOD etc. I will provide further information on Nokia’s overall response, turnaround time in due course.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
Hi cw3

I had my Nokia 770 from May 2006 until Feb 2007 and was very happy with unit before I got my WSOD. Re-flashing the OS whilst successful, did not correct the WSOD problem. I spoke with Nokia help desk early last week, as a consequence a got a next day call-back, then a courier collection from home address, on Thu 22nd March.
( I am in UK ATM)

I sent my Nokia 770 in it’s original box with charged battery, battery cover and stylus, but nothing more. I also included a dated letter with details of WSOD etc. I will provide further information on Nokia’s overall response, turnaround time in due course.
Apparently, and according to user testimony, you can say bye-bye to your battery, cover and stylus. Nokia maintains a little black hole to dump those in.

Just a warning...

MikeL, sorry to hear about yours also. Nokia asked me to send it in myself and I have to pay for shipping, no courier collection...

Thanks for the warning Karel. The support person that I talked to specifically told me to send in the unit only, and keep the battery cover, stylus, battery and memory card. I thought it was odd that they asked me to keep the battery cover, but I guess it must be their process to dump everything except the core unit..

Last edited by cw3; 2007-03-25 at 17:42.

Originally Posted by adl99 View Post
Does anyone know of a way to use the screen outside the device?

It is a beautiful little screen - probably ideal for a unix console, for instance - but I'm living in fear that it will WSOD on me because of the controller. The lack of speed / opera bugs / etc. means that my poor 770 now annoys me and I'd rather salvage the screen as a small second display / terminal display for my server, etc.
I love my 770 also, but living in the constant fear of its break down means that I can't rely on it to do anything. For example I have been using it to keep notes on maemopad+, but now I have a sqllite db backup but no notes, same for my todo list on gpe and bunch of other things..

MikeL... Nokia UK has been giving me absolute crap for over a month now (I posted on some other thread detailing my ongoing struggle). So if you receive the bare unit you're in for a lot of swearing.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Which reminds me, I'll try and find out tomorrow if Nokia UK have received my N800 (sans battery, battery cover and stylus) - I sent it off almost two weeks ago to have the touchpad pressure sensitivity problem fixed and I haven't heard a dickie bird since.