Posts: 247 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on May 2010 @ limassol cyprus
It all started around the end of january when i decided to take the leap and buy my first n series smartphone.Since the choices were not that many and after hearing how the n97 had bombed big time , i had decided that the n900 was the one for me. i was a complete and utter noob(still am in most respects!!) but i was determined to get this phone/computer.

Coming from the 5800xm, i didnt know what i was getting myself into, all i knew was that it had a 5mp cam, maemo OS(symbian was getting too boring for me and other OS's couldnt compare to what i saw in maemo) and a whopping 32 gb memory. I was a bit dissapointed with the speakers on this phone, but thought it was bearable.The screen made me drool, but the phone it self was massive compared to some of the other smartphones out there.And still i couldnt help but think that something was missing, i didnt care too much for mms but i missed the seperate ringtones, and stuff that i took for granted on my 5800xm,and was feeling a but cheated to be honest.But i was still determined to keep this phone and not give up on it...

Then the worse thing happened, call me stupid, call me whatever you like, but for me it was a nightmare and most days i still wish i had done things differently that particular sunday morning....About a month later i woke up on a sunday morning, like a little kid with a new toy, i couldnt wait to get to my n900...since it was charging i decided to make myself a coffee first then unplug my n900 from the charger, which i did! but thats when the crap hit the fan! i had my coffee on the table and i picked up my n900 and tried to disconnect it from the charger, gently ofcourse, ( and i gotta admit, it takes a bit of force to connect/disconnect the phone to the charger) and the phone slipped out of my hand and into my hot cup of coffee, three quarters of it was submerged in coffee!! i stood there for a couple of seconds dumbfounded!! then i picked it up from the coffee and imediatly took the battery out, a trick i learned from techseven video of the n900, just so the battery doesnt shortcircuit the phone... and i started f..ing and blinding!! once i had calmed down i took the phone to my desk and thought thats it! 600 euros down the drain... there was no way i was gonna get my money back even if i sold it for spares. Luckily the same techseven video on youtube that had said about the battery, also had a dissasebly video too. So i got to work at taking my brand new coffee soaked n900 apart(i have never taken a phone apart in my life!!) ,at which point my brother walks in, and asks me what the hell im doing to my new phone!? i explained. Luckily for me again my brother is a technichian of sorts and he has taken phones apart to fix them, so he had all the proper tools to dissassemble my n900.So we got to taking the phone apart, which was painful yet exciting and curiously fun in a weird kind of way.The phone was soaked . 'Everything was distroyed' i thought to myself and then said out loud.My bro thinking the same but not saying it!But we dried every part off and cleaned it as much as we could and set it to dry out some more. then we put it together again and hoped for the best but expected the worst!....We switched it on. and it worked! almost. the screen was full of coffee stains and the phone itself was buggy, twitching everytime i tried to use it. So i switched it off to put my microsd in and see if that was destroyed aswell, but when i switched it on it wouldnt work. nothing was showing, it was dead i thought. so i took the battery out and left face down for the day.I was misserable, my phone which i had just bought a month ago was gone, i had nothing left, was gonna have to go back to my old 3100 till i could afford to get something better. Later that evening i thought i could try it again, it switched on! but nothing on the screen, so i thought why not try the tv out, cos after all it might just be the srceen that was the problem, and it worked and , yes, it was the screen thats was the problem, everything else worked fine, including the touch part of the phone so i could get around it, blind, but looking at my tv and everything was working just fine, no glitches or bugs!!!!suffice to say i was extatic! only problem was the screen, so i left it a couple more days, switching it on every now and then to see if it still worked, and by the end of the week even the screen started working!

So now , 5 months later,i have my battle scarred nokia n900 with coffee stains on the lcd screen, and i love it to bits, literally, and i have learned how to use xterminal on it, sort of, and ive modded it with the help of this amazing community here at maemo.org.i have flashed it 5 times , even put the leaked pr1.2 on it! to think i didnt know a single thing about modding phones or flashing phones or even taking phones apart before i got my n900!
i have all my music on it, 48gb worth of storage, i watch my movies on it, i listen to my music in the car with it through the fm transmitter, i use it to make calls, i browse the net, apart from work, it is with me everywhere i go , wifi is amazing on it , so im connected whenever i can be and talking with skype so im saving money on phone calls too!!

Well there you go! this is my first time writing in this community, i hope you enjoyed my little story of how i learned to love my nokia n900.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to n900 lover For This Useful Post:
So. Many. Words. So. Little. Space. My. Eyes. Hurt.

Posts: 562 | Thanked: 123 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Daly City
Originally Posted by nosa101 View Post
So. Many. Words. So. Little. Space. My. Eyes. Hurt.
haha.. title looks interesting then after i saw it... nah.. nvm.. dont want to read it anymore.. haha

sorry guys i had get my story out there.
if you do take the time to read it, it is quite interesting.....

Posts: 130 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Israel
its indeed interesting.
thanks for sharing.

I also love my N900

What a waste of good coffee ! Seriously a very nice story, I still love mine too.

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
Maybe I should write a story on how I saved a N800 from life as a lowly PDA (and modded it to the furthest extent I could see), at the age of 11.
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.

maybe you should! and if you can give/share some pointers this way too on further modding my n900 i would be eternaly grateful. because some stuff just dont make sense to me as i have never used linux pre n900.

Last edited by n900 lover; 2010-05-31 at 21:27.

Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
I love my N900. And I love your story. It's like you are talking about a pet. I totally get that. My N900 does that to me too.

You've got to love this phone, even with all the shortcomings. This is different from other phones. This gives you a warm feeling when messing about with it, and exploring the possibilities, discovering new things, finding new ways to have to reflash it etc..

Today I dropped my N900 for the second time ever. I was showering and I put it on the towel while showering and forgot about it. Then I grabbed the towel and there I saw my N900 fly. Pity there wasn't the app n900Fly running. I would have got a highscore. I started cursing and grabbed it with the towel (my hands were wet). After drying my hands I started examining it. Not even a scratch!

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
I don't get the original post, something about a revelatory experience after spilling coffee on it, taking it apart and working out how to use xterminal... but you are happy thats the main thing.

Last edited by imperiallight; 2010-05-31 at 21:30.