Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Hi all,

This is an early, crazy, work-in-progress announcement regarding a portrait keyboard for Maemo5 that frals and I are working on in our copious free time. See screenshots below for fun.

Since people keep pointing this out, I'm moving it up here and emphasising it: Worth noting that this is originally written by Nokia, from one of the hildon-input-method examples. We did not write this from scratch.

It is now available from extras-devel, package name is 'portrait-keyboard'.

Known caveats:
  • No fast input. Multi-tap to enter a letter, it's slow and *very* painful.
  • Changing orientation results in the text you've written so far being lost
  • To use it, you'll need to 'killall hildon-input-method' after installing the package (or reboot your n900)
  • It's (a bit) painful to use in landscape mode.

Possible future directions (but this is by no means going to happen overnight, these are all quite difficult - feel free to pitch in and help):
  • Seperate layout for landscape mode, for easier use
  • Fast, predictive input
  • Automatic capitalisation

If you're interested in contributing, talk to frals or myself (w00t / w00t_) on #maemo, and see http://gitorious.org/hildon-portrait-keyboard.

Much thanks to Stskeeps and yerga for sending me in the right direction with getting it working, and awesome kudos to frals for getting this in a releasable state.
Attached Images

Last edited by w00t; 2010-06-07 at 10:36.

The Following 119 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
arjunkumar87, attila77, avinashtjoshi, b-man, bakuur, basse, Bec, bennypr0fane, Berserk, Blaizzen, BLC, BN900, bunanson, Caesar, cheve, Chrome, Crugath, D4rKlar, daperl, Dark_Angel85, das_schlumpfie, Dave999, dazzakoh, Dousan, dragly, dscobsct, EIPI, El Amir, elie-7, Erebo, esthreel, evil_m0nkey, F2thaK, fatalsaint, Figa, frals, gordonshowers, gri, gsever, hannu.mikkola, HellFlyer, hesham, HtheB, Inacurate, ivanzorkic, ivyking, jhwan, jorjino, Kee, kojacker, kylepsp, lcuk, logicalsid, lolloo, Magik, Maj3stic, manvik60, maxximuscool, mccarmo, mece, MegaULF, Mentalist Traceur, mikec, mivoligo, moepda, MohammadAG, nashith, navsin, neboja, noobmonkey, omeriko9, ossipena, OVK, Patola, pillar, plaban, PUNK, qwertyberty, raily, Random_Nokia_Hero, riceboy, rofo1000, ryo1st, sachin007, saxen, Schturman, sjgadsby, skykooler, Stonik, stopgap, strange1712, Strutten, teddy3, thecubed, thp, tissot, Trek1701, Trestry, unclepecos, v13, vaibhavsharma, vkv.raju, Wanker, wheatbisc, Wikiwide, woody14619, xgrind, XNT, xtian, yerga, zaedej, zail, zincholic, ZogG, zoukij, ZShakespeare
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
I just see one piece of awesomeness over here! =)

Keep up the good work guys!

The Following User Says Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 395 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ India
Keep up the good work.

Web Advices
Tablet Phone X
Blogging Tips
Know IP Address

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
great work!

nokia. can you plz pay these guys, they are doing your job!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
Hehey I think a lot of people in here are eagerly awaiting what you come up with.

Just a further/clarifying question, though: so are there plans for a mini-QWERTY keyboard?

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
great work!

nokia. can you plz pay these guys, they are doing your job!
Keep in mind the bottom of my post. This was originally written by Nokia.

So far, all we've done is package it for Maemo5. (Though hopefully we'll add more bits to it as I mentioned )

Originally Posted by cjp View Post
Hehey I think a lot of people in here are eagerly awaiting what you come up with.

Just a further/clarifying question, though: so are there plans for a mini-QWERTY keyboard?
No firm plans really. It's just the idea I had in my head when I thought about this initially. Whether it gets implemented, well, depends whether we write it - or someone else decides to help contribute it

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
I will have a look.
I am thinking about gestures (like hit a char, slide up, get the uppercase version, and viceversa; slide left -> delete; slide right -> TAB and so on)

Originally Posted by anidel View Post
I will have a look.
I am thinking about gestures (like hit a char, slide up, get the uppercase version, and viceversa; slide left -> delete; slide right -> TAB and so on)
Plausible, but I forsee that being a bit difficult with something like T9..

Posts: 349 | Thanked: 309 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ PS/IL
Great job w00t!

Will ukeyboard with different input languages get effected if i install this?

Tags
hit and run, worthless