Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I just wonder if it is possible to shown the actual wifi signal strength on the wifi symbol in the upper left corner like it is shown when you open the pull out menu there? The Symbol is the same, with the only difference that you can see the actual signal strength in the dropdown menu and in the symbol not...

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
hey that would be cool! Currently it's static and doesn't do anything!

Would be a great addition,

maybe we can add ANOTHER widget to show the strenght

Originally Posted by clasificado View Post
maybe we can add ANOTHER widget to show the strenght
Nah, I don't really want to clog my screen up with more widgets.

In the status bar will be fine.

The Following User Says Thank You to rash.m2k For This Useful Post:
i also think that we dont need a widget for this, my 4 homescreens are full. There is no place for more widgets.

Posts: 60 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Philadelphia
The code for that indicator is 98% likely to be open, and available from http://maemo.gitorious.org/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flailingmonkey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by flailingmonkey View Post
The code for that indicator is 98% likely to be open, and available from http://maemo.gitorious.org/
Nope. Like much of Maemo, it is closed.

However, it's not hard to write your own, separate widget using http://maemo.org/api_refs/5.0/5.0-fi...3832b026575782.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
i would if i had the skills to do that...

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
How does look to you? The reason why the digit is small is because it's an 18x18 pixbuf, which just happens to be the right size for applets to display an icon in the status area, next to the clock.

Also, that value is chopped; ignore the 42 value itself: That libconic function I mentioned returns some massive uint, which I have no idea how to interpret. So I've found another method call provided by ICD2 which returns the signal strength in a value that is between 1-10. Yay!

That said, icons would look better but I'm no designer...

OK, that little 3 in the status area is wifi-signal-applet, which has just landed in extras-devel. It's not pretty and I lack an artistic streak so I had to use text. Designers, please do your thing. Oh and it checks the strength every two seconds. (FWIW, the standard wifi applet checks every 1 second when the status menu is open) It does not check when either the applet is not in view (fullscreen apps, display off, etc.) or if you aren't connected to a network. I will add a CPA for changing the timeout.

Also, I do not know if it works when connected to the Internet through your mobile network.
Furthermore, I couldn't get it to go to 10, even when I was right next to my router. Blame ICD2, not me!

Last edited by qwerty12; 2010-06-08 at 23:36.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post: