Active Topics

Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
Hello maemo.org

I've noticed that a lot of people have issues with loose or broken micro USB port. I've been following http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...light=usb+port closely from first day and I was very careful with mine . I'm not sure whether there are really defective devices made by Nokia or its just careless users... Maybe both

Anyway I was using mine for 5 months without any problems with usb but for the first week or so I was really scared since I thought I gonna damage by plugging and unplugging too often ( I've charged it every day) Ok so here is my solution that works fine for me so far and I hope it will work for you as well

As we know both charger and cable have these little teeth that support it pretty well however they also make it hard to disconnect as well Name:  IMG_0009.jpg
Views: 2115
Size:  23.2 KB

These pictures show how not to disconnect cable from device Name:  no1.jpg
Views: 2006
Size:  48.4 KB
Name:  no2.jpg
Views: 2009
Size:  46.4 KB

Last image shows the way I do it and so far so good.Name:  IMG_00r11.jpg
Views: 2018
Size:  44.8 KB
What I do is basically I apply pressure with my index finger and thumb to the body of N900 while at the same time I hold cable firmly from sides and push it back..I noticed that this way there is less force applied to USB port and cable comes out quicker

Maybe it was the obvious way to do it but I decided to share with you

Cheers
Attached Images

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

Last edited by HellFlyer; 2010-06-10 at 07:56.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to HellFlyer For This Useful Post:
Nice little guide there! Thats something I naturally did out of the box my self, but you're right, some of it can be down to careless users!

even try using a Samsung Cable guys!! i have telling it on the other thread no on seem to notice it !! its smoother than the nokia !! try it

@teh Thanks I remember that I was pushing cable out really hard and moving it from side to side for the first few times

@anaskr well not all people have Samsung cables at home

dude just get some sandpaper and file the teeth off

then the plug just goes in and out smoothly, noway it will pull the socket out

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Switzerland
Thank you very much. This is good tutorial (might have taken time to prepare it).

I got to admit, that sometimes, but not always, I disconnect like that. Up to now, everything works fine. 1 time i had to reattach for charging to beginn.

Just beeing curious, if you also are able to lift the plug with the thumb (see my attachment) about 1 mm. I found it strange, that this movement is possible. But on the other hand it nearly not noticable at all and I have to press medium hard - please dont take any risk to damage your devie, do not force this movement, if you try to find out.

PS: Questions about possible faulty devices seem to exist since the beginning of diskussion-forms. I remember how there were diskussions concerning my previous pda's about battery's, dust within the screen, pixels-faults u.s.o - I sometimes wonder how many users are getting afraid reading these diskussions and will afterwards send in theyr devices without any problem. How do companys survive in fixing not existing suspected errors, if a rush of returned devices comes in after a newly started discussion thread?

Did you know, that in europe warranty issues like that are handled not as generous as they are handled in the usa? but we don't have sales of refurbished devices. maybe because they don't exchange them so easily. The are rather repaired.
Attached Images

just a little pressure on the exerted on the plug will make the teeth sitt lower and make it much easier to pulll out, ive done it on both my charger and usb and they still stay in securley but no longer feel like they're gonna pull the phone apart.

Hello,

I make like this and it works perfectly and also i put silicon spray on the plug and it's more easy to put !

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on May 2010 @ TMO
I tend to pull the wire to force it out when I'm in a rush... Pretty much every day morning.

My microUSB port is still fine, after two odd months, though.

Interesting observations , maybe some N900 comes with weaker/bad connected USB port and when you apply to much pressure it falls off