Active Topics

Notices

pyRadio

pyRadio is a python2.5-qt4 (PyQt4) implementation of Pandora Radio. Audio runs through MAFW for N900 or OSSO for Diablo (N810/N800).

Looks like pyPianobar??

Yes it does! This is an evolution from pyPianobar which is a front end for the command line application pianobar. spbogie developed an all-python implementation of communicating with Pandora Radio directly. I have borrowed that code, and extended it to include additional features. I then took pyPianobar and merged it making an all-python, native application that is no longer a front-end for anything.

This is no longer a "hack" for Pandora, but a true all-encompassing application.

Features:
  • Login to Pandora via username/password popup. Saved so you only need to enter it once.
  • Skip Songs
  • Play/Pause
  • Change Stations
  • "Like" songs
  • "Hate" songs
  • Display Title, Artist, and Album
  • Display album art
  • Create & Delete stations
  • Snooze
  • Mark songs "Tired"
  • Enable FM Transmitter
  • Integrate with current theme colors
  • Pandora One increased audio quality support!
  • Auto-pause when making or receiving phone calls

Known Issues:
  • 6 hours+ play will likely fail.

Installation
  1. Extras-Devel

Why Python??

Simplicity. Using the same package, we should be able to run this on our Maemo 5, and future Harmattan/MeeGo and full MeeGo devices.

Pandora

Don't forget to update to Pandora One. Higher quality audio works now in pyRadio!

Special thanks goes to Thorprime and YoDude for the interface. Also, thanks to everyone that has supported and helped pyPianobar grow! This was the obvious evolution of that as it was always a hack and we can now extend it further than we could before.

pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Last edited by fatalsaint; 2010-09-10 at 03:40.

The Following 47 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
well, it worked great once, then on restarting it got stuck on authenticating. This happened several times.
i tried again about half an hour later and it worked with no problems.

Update: I seem to be having strange wifi issues at my home today, so this might be the cause of the issue. Right now all is well. I will report if the problem returns.

Last edited by omri; 2010-06-13 at 14:16.

Hmm seems to conflict with python2.5-qt4-gui, but I can't remove it since other apps use it as a dependency.

Code:
ess using it?
/home/user # apt-get remove python2.5-qt4-gui
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  python2.5-qt4-common wireless-tools python2.5-qt4-dbus python2.5-qt4-core
  pulseaudio-utils python2.5-sip4
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
The following extra packages will be installed:
  python2.5-qt4-common python2.5-qt4-core python2.5-qt4-dbus python2.5-sip4
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  autocompleteeditor espeakcaller healthcheck python2.5-qt4-gui wifieye
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  python2.5-qt4-dbus
The following packages will be upgraded:
  python2.5-qt4-common python2.5-qt4-core python2.5-sip4
3 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 5 to remove and 73 not upgraded.
Need to get 556kB of archives.
After this operation, 6767kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n
Abort.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by omri View Post
well, it worked great once, then on restarting it got stuck on authenticating. This happened several times.
i tried again about half an hour later and it worked with no problems.

Update: I seem to be having strange wifi issues at my home today, so this might be the cause of the issue. Right now all is well. I will report if the problem returns.
Yes, I didn't see the update in the email but I was going to come tell you when I've seen this issue is when my N900 was having network problems.

I need to implement better error checking so that it can inform you of when it actually fails so you aren't staring at "Trying to authenticate" forever.

@LaughingMan:
Looks to me like you've got some strange mix of PyQt4 versions. PyRadio itself depends on python2.5-qt4-gui (and I don't specify a version) so I'm not entirely sure why it would be trying to remove it.

Can you show me the output of trying to install pyradio instead of trying to remove python2.5-qt4-gui?

Oddly, it installed if I did an apt-get install pyradio. o.O

Oh I found one annoyance you might want to fix. If a user doesn't remember his Pandora username and password (*cough* me) there's no way to exit the login prompt (it just loops forever) asking for Pandora username and Pandora password. Can't even use power menu > kill task.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Oddly, it installed if I did an apt-get install pyradio. o.O

Oh I found one annoyance you might want to fix. If a user doesn't remember his Pandora username and password (*cough* me) there's no way to exit the login prompt (it just loops forever) asking for Pandora username and Pandora password. Can't even use power menu > kill task.
I was able to do it by going into the dashboard and clicking the little "X" .

Yes... I'll implement a 3 count like I had before. Thanks for reminding me.

Ok, 1.1 is up hopefully with better error handling and 3 loop limit.

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Driving around with pyRadio is a lot better than pyPianobar! No more dropouts and skipping when going through weak 3G areas.

However, audio from pyRadio stops whenever I get a text message. Skipping the current song gets the audio going again.

I have Message 1 for the SMS alert ring tone.

Originally Posted by ceevee View Post
However, audio from pyRadio stops whenever I get a text message. Skipping the current song gets the audio going again.
I didn't think this was 100% of the time... but I have had similar problems as I said in the other thread about gstreamer just stop playing music for some unknown reason.

I still have not figured out the cause or how to identify this. Everything works fine, and as you realized skipping to the next song, music plays perfectly: so I'm not sure what the problem is with gstreamer picking up the buffer and going.

I'm sure this has something to do with the way the N900 system works with the underlying audio system and gstreamer (I know it does something, because I don't pause the music when you receive a phone call and start it again after it's over. N900 does that all on it's own for audio going through gstreamer.)

Maybe SMS/Email flush the gstreamer audio feed or something.

ETA: Just tested it and received a text and pyRadio continued playing fine. Not sure what the cause of the "sometimes" is.

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Is there a way you could put the artist and song title under the album art as well?

Sometimes the length of the title and artist is too long to see completely on the top bar.

Tags
bad tags, good tags, pyradio