i'm a linux noob so i dont know how to format it.What is the most simple way of doing it?Could you please tell me step by step?
Thanks...

If you want to format the FAT32 partitions that are mountable from a desktop PC with a USB cable, then you can do it from the desktop PC itself. That is probably the easiest way. You can also fix corrupted file-systems that way too.
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Just a question... why would you want or even need to format ?.

The file-system may become corrupted. IIRC, some N810s actually shipped with a corrupted FAT32 partition. Also, one may wish to use a better file-system than FAT32.
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
--
Beware of extras-devel.

Originally Posted by fnordianslip View Post
The file-system may become corrupted. IIRC, some N810s actually shipped with a corrupted FAT32 partition. Also, one may wish to use a better file-system than FAT32.
Are you saying that a flash of both Fiasco and Vanilla would not take care of the corrupt file system?, i say this because maybe it could be a quicker way in some cases to re-format without the need to flash.
Intersting though.

Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Are you saying that a flash of both Fiasco and Vanilla would not take care of the corrupt file system?, i say this because maybe it could be a quicker way in some cases to re-format without the need to flash.
Intersting though.
Well, a flashing wouldn't touch my uSDHC card (although TBH I always remove it when flashing just in case), and I've never needed to reflash the eMMC.
--
Beware of extras-devel.

Posts: 129 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Switzerland
Hey you guys, I think you overread a crucial part in the thread starters introduction:
Originally Posted by cross3131 View Post
i'm a linux noob
...cross 3131, am I right that with format you mean wipe your device, "reinstall" the operating system, start from scratch, undo and wipe all application installs, mods etc etc? Correct? Or do you really mean, what the term to format technically means, reinitialize or change to way your filesystem is organized?
A or B, which is it?

Originally Posted by schaggo View Post
Hey you guys, I think you overread a crucial part in the thread starters introduction:

...cross 3131, am I right that with format you mean wipe your device, "reinstall" the operating system, start from scratch, undo and wipe all application installs, mods etc etc? Correct? Or do you really mean, what the term to format technically means, reinitialize or change to way your filesystem is organized?
A or B, which is it?
It is an interesting question because i have not seen the term "format" regarding the N900 as you say in your post to format the OS is not a wise thing to do even if easy possible as it would mean a re-flash anyhow.
I think to format without strict rules would be dangerous so therefore a re-flash would be the thing to do not a format.
I hope someone can throw some light on this... maybe Geneven who is knowlegable can do as he is monitoring this thread.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
please do a seach on REFLASHING or firmware upgrade. Otherwise visit wiki.maemo.org

I'm too tired to type the whole things again and again...

Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Just a question... why would you want or even need to format ?.
i can't install or upgrade any programs.It always says "conflicting application packages". I am really fed up.
What can i do for this?