Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I'm noticing that I'm getting 4 hours, if that from my battery and I'll chalk it up to it being almost 3 years old. I've started looking for a proper alternative to my Nokia N810, but not exactly sure if I'll need to do so.

Skype still works, as does Pidgin, I can take notes all day on it with Xournal and I'm honestly comfortable with the Maemo platform more than say other platforms - familiarity is my biggest thing.

And I'm looking for an alternative that I can purchase in the next 30 days - that rules out MeeGo. I've had the chance to use the Apple iPad - oversized, no Flash (Oh, I need Adobe Flash support), and just seemed to be lacking to me.

Or... should I just go the cheaper route, buy a Mugen battery, and wait for something that's really worth it down the road?

Dell Streak really has my attention. But I'm not going to settle for anything less than Froyo 2.2 and I don't know the upgrade path for it yet.

Any other good options? Or should I just get the Mugen 1800mAh battery and wait it out?

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
1. Get the Mugen Battery.
2. Get Dell Streak.

That would be my order of priority. Forget Froyo 2.2. Waiting for Dell to update the streak would take forever.

The Following User Says Thank You to afaq For This Useful Post:
Do you know what the battery life is like on the streak? it's the same battery capacity as the n810 but with that 5 inch screen etc, I'm not sure how long it lasts, and no review I've read really has said, though I saw a comment at techradar, by someone who owns one, saying they were disappointed in the battery life.

The Following User Says Thank You to pataphysician For This Useful Post:
I don't know the battery life yet, they've yet to release the Dell Streak in the US. I factored my hours wrong. It was a 2:50 minute meeting and the N810 went straight to low battery during that time fresh off of a charge.

I do admit that I was doing some HEAVY surfing and Skype usage though - the meeting was that boring.

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I don't know the battery life yet, they've yet to release the Dell Streak in the US. I factored my hours wrong. It was a 2:50 minute meeting and the N810 went straight to low battery during that time fresh off of a charge.

I do admit that I was doing some HEAVY surfing and Skype usage though - the meeting was that boring.
He he, we all go to meetings like that. mind you close to three hours doesn't sound too bad if you were hammering the processor the whole time.

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

The Following User Says Thank You to gazza_d For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Get the Mugen 3600 mHz. Or get an authentic new Nokia battery. Or get some fakes and a charger and learn how to swap batteries quickly.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Don't the 3600mAh batteries force the user to add that Mugen battery back that's a huge hump and gets in the way of the stand?

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
You have something against pregnant guppies??

Well, maybe the 3600 mAh battery isn't for you, then.

Yeah. Sorta want to keep the functionality of the stand and shove that into the faces of my fellow N900 users. Hey, I gotta have something!

Seems like 3 hours with full utilization is pretty standard fare... I just remember getting a bit longer than that.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Seems like 3 hours with full utilization is pretty standard fare... I just remember getting a bit longer than that.
I would think you would get double that with a new battery, depending on what you mean by "full utilization" (GPS+BlueTooth+WiFi+Video?).

There are some caveats with Mugen batteries mentioned in this forum. I hope to contact them about this as I am experiencing flakiness with a recently-purchased Mugen battery. So a Nokia official battery might give you less trouble. Amazon has them at a decent price, although IIRC it's twice the Mugen price.