As on every personal device you would have some private stuff stored on it (from pictures to password lists etc). Now, is there any way to strongly encrypt this information in the case the handset got lost or stolen?

Is there a build-in solution for this? If no are there any external/3rd-party solutions available?

Open source and freeware solutions are preferable.

Thanks guys!

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on May 2008 @ France
There's Password Safe for storing passwords, but for files I don't know.
IIRC I read stuff here about Truecrypt, but I don't know if there's a Truecrypt app to open encrypted partitions from the N900.

Posts: 9 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Prague/Czech Republic
if you are not afraid of command line, you can always use gpg or openssl to encrypt a file, they are both preinstalled

Posts: 1,210 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ hamburg,germany
i would love it to.actually i use the option to close the whole phone after 30 minutes down with a password.but a app that encrypt files or folders would be really much better.

Nobody likes us but we dont care....

Posts: 268 | Thanked: 304 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Orlando, USA
Originally Posted by azzurro View Post
Is there a build-in solution for this? If no are there any external/3rd-party solutions available?
Truecrypt is the ideal solution to encrypt volumes with files. Truecrypt makes it easy to move encrypted folders across computers/devices.

A command-line version is available in Extras-Testing.

Posts: 4 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Sep 2010 @ saudi arabia
hello all

hope you're so fine.

what the commands i should write to encrypt a file/folder???

thanks

I encrypted a file using this:
openssl enc -e -aes-256-cbc -in originalfile -out encryptedfile -k password
Once encrypted, I tried decrypting on terminal:
openssl enc -d -aes-256-cbc -in encryptedfile -out testfile -k password
It works.
The testfile content is same as originalfile.

However, the encryptedfile, when received by friend on MacOSX, decrypted resulting in this error:
bad decrypt
296:error:0606506D:digital envelope routines:EVP_DecryptFinal:wrong final block length:evp_enc.c:502:

is there problem with openssl implementation of n900?
Edit
The files and password is not real, replaced with sample only.

Update:

Tried using -des3, it works. Is there a known problem of aes implementation?

I worry about this issue sometimes and I wish I could buy a phone with zero internal storage (ALL user data would be on the removable card). If you have an unencrypted file in flash, making an encrypted copy won't do you a bit of good, since there is no completely reliable way to permanently and unrecoverably delete the unencrypted version. You really have to do something at the kernel level, i.e. dmcrypt preventing any unencrypted data from ever touching the flash drive. This is possible with a laptop but I'd have no idea how to do it with the n900.