Active Topics

Poll: If feature-complete/comparable OS choices were available today, which one would you use on your N900
Poll Options
If feature-complete/comparable OS choices were available today, which one would you use on your N900

With this month's launch of the Meego 1.1 'alpha' and the recent progress porting Android Froyo 2.2, it seems development of a replacement OS for the N900 has quickly become a two-horse race.

Once djsteve, e-yes, and the testing community resolve the few remaining hardware/driver-layer conundrums (phone, battery monitoring, charging, etc), they're done. They'll be 'first to market' with a feature-complete alternative OS for our beloved little N900. And don't forget that Google just open-sourced the whole thing.

So even though the Nokia-led Meego team is developing on the N900 (for future devices), their road-map indicates a comparable feature-complete release for the N900 won't ship until October.

If a feature-complete version of each were available today, which would you flash?

Happy to field questions where I can help.
================================================

Last edited by digittante; 2010-06-28 at 21:01. Reason: Inserted 'POLL' tag in title

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to digittante For This Useful Post:
I would keep all three of them.

Maemo for the Mobile computer aspects (easy debian, etc..)
Meego just to see what's happening in the future
Android for smartphone stuff.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

It would be nice to chroot into android and meego just to run their apps.

The only feature I am really missing from android is the phone support, but it's cool to see the device running different OSs

there is a good chance we will be able to triple-boot. However when time comes i'll test both and then decide. we basically no nothing about Meego, we will only in a few days.froyo might be a good choice, since the same chipset is used in the Motorola Droid/Milestone making it already 'optimized' for the n900. Who knows, maybe we will see a really nice & fat P.R 1.3 dropped out of heavens upon us making meamo a thing to get envy looks on everywhere(not that its bad now, just all i get is confusion & laughter).

Posts: 1,023 | Thanked: 4,421 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Argentina
I think most of us will put all the sh*t possible in n900 using bootmenu, just to see "how it works" in all cases

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by digittante View Post
few remaining hardware/driver-layer conundrums (phone, battery monitoring, charging, etc),
The "few" remaining?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
I would only single-boot. The os would probebly be meego as it sounds so awesome, if meego is not that good I would go android 100%

Posts: 458 | Thanked: 274 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Finland
I would too trpleboot all of those but would brobably mainly use android (flash 10.1, games etc.).

Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
The "few" remaining?
Well, yeah. Per the NitDroid's N900 port status page, the remaining hardware features to enable are:
  • Charging
  • Phone
  • Accelerometers
  • Unlock/Lock switch on the right side
  • Microphone
  • FM Transmitter
  • FM Radio
  • Camera

I'm not belittling the hard effort required to resolve those things. But (I'm assuming) that effort is significantly different/easier/less-time-consuming than coding/integrating new core features for Meego like Phone, Calendar, Contacts, Email, etc.

Happy to field questions where I can help.
================================================

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Haha!

I would rather run Maemo 5 until the end of my N900's life than to pollute it with Google's s**t. (This is only my personal opinion about Google, I don't mean to insult the NITdroid developers.)

By the way, if the guys who port Android put their effort into MeeGo instead, it would be much better!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post: