Notices

I have an issue while using Sygic and playing audio at the same time where the phone becomes totally unresponsive and the only way to fix that is to take the battery out and and restart the phone. I know Kamikaze reported a similar problem but I haven't seen any solution to that, so was wondering if anyone knows how to fix it.

Steps to reproduce problem are:
  1. Connect N900 to the car charger
  2. Turn on Media Player or Vagalume (tried with both local and streaming audio) and start playing something there
  3. Turn on FM transmitter and FM Boost
  4. Turn on Sygic
  5. Creat a route to any destination
  6. Start driving the car. Audio keeps playing and Sygic gives directions for may be a minute or so
  7. After that everything simply freezes. It is reproducible every time.
  8. The problem doesn't occur if only sygic is on with FM transmitter or if only media player is on with FM transmitter.

So has anyone encountered the same issue? If so, is there a solution to the problem?

P.S. - Had posted this in the Sygic Mod thread but realised that this post didn't belong there, thus reposting in its own thread

Posts: 1,169 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ sunderland
if i use sygic when driving im too busy listening to the turn right/left commands to have the media player on!

Originally Posted by leetut View Post
if i use sygic when driving im too busy listening to the turn right/left commands to have the media player on!
Lol, problem is that I drive on motorways, so have long stretches where Sygic is absolutely silent. But yes, this problem happens when it speaks, so seems to be Pulseaudio related.

I have been playing around with Sygic and the problem that I have mentioned above only occurs when all three of the following conditions are satisfied
  1. Audio is playing and Sygic is ON
  2. FM Transmitter is ON
  3. Phone is connected to charger

If only two conditions are satisfied (say the phone is not connected to power supply) or if only one application is ON, the crash doesn't occur.

So what happens to the phone when it is connected to the power supply? What changes?

ok so TODAY i had a trip and it was time for me to take my new car charger, mount holder and sygic gps for a ride for the first time!
Things i had ON:

3G - for A-GPS
Media Player
FM Transmitter
GPS
SYGIC
Bluetooth!
Charging
+ I was receiving calls!
My device is overclocked always at 950Mhz.

my ride was about 3 hours both directions, within this time this error that you had, I had once. I must say that was an amazing sequence of multitasking and i hope that will not happen again, i also must state that it happened in the worst time lol, just when i was to get off the motorway.

I will continue to look after this issue.

Last edited by ironm8; 2010-07-01 at 20:51. Reason: spelling bee got me

Posts: 253 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bristol, UK
I frequently drive whilst charging, listening to the media player via FM fransmitter and using Sygic (never bluetooth or calling while driving though).

Generally Sygic does a great job, interrupting the music to give a command & then resuming.

Sygic occasionally loses all audio capability until I restart Mobile Maps, but I've never encountered the hard-reset problem described here.

arbitrabbit, are you comfortable with SSHing into your phone? Your symptom sounds a bit like https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=9150. I was getting a take-the-battery-out crash with Maep a while back & it turned out that the phone was not crashed at all, just the buttons & screen were hung. If this ever happens to you near a PC, give it a go!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spanner For This Useful Post:
Hmm, yes. Could very well be. Will get the device to hang and try to ssh into it next time it happens. Also, have Maep installed so will try to remove it and see if that helps at all. Thanks for the pointer.

I have also noticed that the phone doesn't become completely unresponsive but becomes very (and I mean taking about 10 seconds to respond) slow , which does seem to suggest that some process is hogging the CPU.

Last edited by arbitrabbit; 2010-07-01 at 21:26.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by arbitrabbit View Post
I have an issue while using Sygic and playing audio at the same time where the phone becomes totally unresponsive and the only way to fix that is to take the battery out and and restart the phone. I know Kamikaze reported a similar problem but I haven't seen any solution to that, so was wondering if anyone knows how to fix it.

Steps to reproduce problem are:
  1. Connect N900 to the car charger
  2. Turn on Media Player or Vagalume (tried with both local and streaming audio) and start playing something there
  3. Turn on FM transmitter and FM Boost
  4. Turn on Sygic
  5. Creat a route to any destination
  6. Start driving the car. Audio keeps playing and Sygic gives directions for may be a minute or so
  7. After that everything simply freezes. It is reproducible every time.
  8. The problem doesn't occur if only sygic is on with FM transmitter or if only media player is on with FM transmitter.

So has anyone encountered the same issue? If so, is there a solution to the problem?

P.S. - Had posted this in the Sygic Mod thread but realised that this post didn't belong there, thus reposting in its own thread
Are you using the OEM FM transmitter app or the clone that keeps it present in the status menu?

EDIT: With PR1 I never had this problem and in fact was so annoyed with its interruptions I turned voice off in Sygic.
This past week-end for an extended trip I turned voice on again and Sygic would crash like you said. I turned voice off and everything was fine.

The reason I asked is because I run qwerty12's clone and thought that might be the problem. However, I don't believe that I have ever run Sygic with the voice on after the PR 1.2 upgrade and before using the clone. So I'm looking to narrow down possibilities.

SLN member # 009

Last edited by YoDude; 2010-07-01 at 22:57.

No, I use a modified version of Fm_boost to turn on the transmitter

Here is what my FM boost looks like, and it is invoked via a Quick Launch button

Code:
#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/fmtx_client -p 1 -> This command turns FM Tx ON
/bin/echo 118 > /sys/class/i2c-adapter/i2c-2/2-0063/power_level -> increases power level
/opt/lfocus/v4l2-ctl -d /dev/radio0 -f 87.5 -> change frequency to 87.5 Mhz
exit 0
EDIT: Looking at the Bug tracker, this bug might be GPS fix related. My next use case is to let Sygic get GPS Fix and then turn on the Media player and FM Tx...will see if that fares any better. I have also reported this bug to Sygic so let's see if they can reproduce it.

Last edited by arbitrabbit; 2010-07-01 at 23:37.

The Following User Says Thank You to arbitrabbit For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by arbitrabbit View Post
No, I use a modified version of Fm_boost to turn on the transmitter

Here is what my FM boost looks like, and it is invoked via a Quick Launch button

Code:
#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/fmtx_client -p 1 -> This command turns FM Tx ON
/bin/echo 118 > /sys/class/i2c-adapter/i2c-2/2-0063/power_level -> increases power level
/opt/lfocus/v4l2-ctl -d /dev/radio0 -f 87.5 -> change frequency to 87.5 Mhz
exit 0
EDIT: Looking at the Bug tracker, this bug might be GPS fix related. My next use case is to let Sygic get GPS Fix and then turn on the Media player and FM Tx...will see if that fares any better. I have also reported this bug to Sygic so let's see if they can reproduce it.
Yup, nothing there...
Good.

Which leads me to something that was done in PR1.2. There was an upgrade from Sygic as well so I'll check my notes to try an eliminate one of them as a lead..

The work around for a functional Navigation while listening to tunes is to turn voice off in Sygic.

Another thing I'll try tomorrow is to see if just playing music through the N900's speakers will also cause this problem and see if we can eliminate the FM transmitter from the mix altogether.

SLN member # 009