Active Topics

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Sydney
After finding out about the N900 in Dec 2009,
and reading every review I could find,
then getting officially released in Australia in May 2010,
I bit the bullet and bought one yesterday [June 29].

First impressions in a nutshell, absolutely amazing UI, a pleasure to use, and very quick.
Far better than Symbian S60 5th on the 5800 now sitting in its box.

First thing I did was update to PR1.2 via WLAN. No issues, I did see a message at the end of the download saying
"Operation Failed" but it then continued and updated successfully.

I was surprised at the number of Apps available via the App Manager.
Installed eCoach, GPXview, Maperro, PrDoom [gotta have it] and Angry Birds all with no issues.

The Task Manager is amazing, how it shows a small version of each App running.
While installing an App, it actually updated the progress bar while in Task Manager mini view, awesome.

Yahoo email configured perfectly.

The Keyboard is excellent. I missed having one when I switched from E71 [good for keyboard, bad for video]
to 5800 [good for video/music, virtual keyboard takes up too much screen space, tired UI].

The BIG test was the video playback. I dont get much time to watch TV at home so I tend to watch videos
on my 50min train trip to work and back.
Played an MP4 no issues. Then tried a few of xvid.avi and they played flawlessly, no conversion required, happy happy joy joy.

The ONLY gripe would be its too configurable. Cant seem to decide how to arrange all those desktops.

So just waiting for voice navigation in Ovi Maps, and edit version of Docs to Go.

The ONLY issue found was that Ovi Maps wont get a lock on the Satellites unless the SIM card is in the device.
Even with a WLAN connection, but no SIM card, no lock. Put SIM card in, works straight away.
Think I saw this bug on bugzilla.

Definitely happy with this toy, highly recommended.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Maruzko For This Useful Post:
Congrats on your new device!

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Welcome aboard dude!

SLN member # 009

Posts: 402 | Thanked: 451 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ India
Good to know your experience with the N900. Welcome aboard, enjoy

Posts: 193 | Thanked: 92 times | Joined on May 2010 @ galveston, tx
Awesome buddy

Within the short span of time (2 mos) of ownership, I have come to the conclusion that this phone is perfect for the DIYer.

Originally Posted by Maruzko View Post
After finding out about the N900 in Dec 2009,
and reading every review I could find,
then getting officially released in Australia in May 2010,
I bit the bullet and bought one yesterday [June 29].
As a fellow Aussie, I simply couldn't wait and bought one when I was in Dubai, January '10. Loved it. I did love the fact I wouldn't be seeing many other Aussies with is but it seems the phone is a bit more of a sleeper than I thought it would be so now I'm just glad to see people giving it a go. You'll come to love it even more over time mate, with MeeGo on the way and Android being ported over for dual-booting. Glad you're on board, sit back and enjoy the ride

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Victoria BC Canada
Well done and welcome!

If you have the slightest interest in sketching, download mypaint......It is simply amazing!

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 179 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Gold Coast, Australia
Yeah just watch out with those 50 min train rides and your dead battery when u get off, be sure to take your usb cable to work and charge it up, providing u work with computers. Other than that welcome and grads on getting it. I love it just dont like the battery drain so quick. Im also from Oz Gold Coast, brought mine months ago off a fellow aussie that had to go back to iphone for unkown reasons.

well it didn't take long for the rain on the party gang to arrive.

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 179 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Gold Coast, Australia
wtf u on about, im letting him know to take a charger with him to work as by the time he gets off the train his phone will be dead. Dont talk crap mate. Im giving him the honest truth, Why come here and say ''yeah man its the best phone in the world nothing wrong with it'' Aussies help each other out and thats what im doing. So stfu

The Following User Says Thank You to lucas777 For This Useful Post: