Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Somebody asked for a C64 emulator, so I thought I'd put one up.

Download here:

Frodo C64 Emulator for Maemo

Just untar the package and then copy frodorc to /home/user/.frodorc

Run with ./Frodo from the Frodo directory. Quit the emu with F10. Docs are included.

I don't have time to test it right now, so if anyone wants to give it a whirl on 770 or 800 (might work too), let me know how it works for you!

Cheers!
Arnim

(edit) Apparently Veli Mankinen first compiled it for maemo back in 2005 :P http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail/mae...ne/000211.html

Last edited by ArnimS; 2007-07-30 at 16:21.

yeah, it works on an N800.
its been 25 years though, and I can't remember my peeks and pokes...

additionally, when I press space bar on my thinkoutside keyboard it advances 10 spaces.....

Not sure where I would put programs in order to run them,
but sys64738 command resets the box just like before!!!

pretty cool.

on edit: DAMN, that emulator sapped my full battery in about 30 minutes!!!!

dcarter

Last edited by dcarter; 2007-04-11 at 06:54.

Posts: 271 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Finland
Thanks

Could someone who knows these things better make install package of it that would add installed Frodo C64 emulator to N770/N800 Extras menu.

I feel shame, but I dont know how to install it. I havent ever done any root level/terminal tricks with my N800.

But if Frodo takes so much CPU power that it does drain battery at 30min then its not very useful ŽOn The RoadŽ when you are not plugged to wall.

Great news anyway

--

Its not possible make .frodorc directory to memory card and run frodo from there?

It has to be at /home/user/.frodorc directory?

Yes.. I know.. These are dos/windows user questions..

-> I tryed.. No luck.. Somehow I had that feeling that it wouldnt work..

Last edited by Mika73; 2007-04-11 at 19:18.

Somebody, please help. I would love to try this software

Originally Posted by Mika73 View Post
Thanks
Could someone who knows these things better make install package of it that would add installed Frodo C64 emulator to N770/N800 Extras menu.

But if Frodo takes so much CPU power that it does drain battery at 30min then its not very useful ŽOn The RoadŽ when you are not plugged to wall.

Its not possible make .frodorc directory to memory card and run frodo from there? It has to be at /home/user/.frodorc directory?
Installable package is forthcoming. This build is just being made available for testing - so please try out various configurations in the .rc conf file and check compatibility against Commodore applications, test sound and disk access (host mode and floppy drives) etc.

Frodo does not consume excessive battery power. I just ran frodo for 60 minutes with no loss of battery power level on a nokia 770. All emulators are cpu-intensive programs, and require more power than a native app that spends most of its' time sleeping. (Edit) There appears to be a bug on Nokia 800 where battery indicator is not accurate when battery is getting low. Reflashing OS to latest version should solve this.

Some things to do:
  • Mapping of dpad and buttons to joystick
  • Map home key to exit emu (F10)
  • Packaging / Menu items, fullscreen/normalscreen
  • Double size mode.
  • Native text input methods
  • Integration into xmaeme?
  • ???

(Edit) Yes commodore disk files can be copied to MMC and loaded with the emu. In principle.

Last edited by ArnimS; 2007-04-13 at 04:19.

Thanks Sounds good.

Wonder if it would be possible load C64 PRG, T64, D64 files/images from memorycard. Then it would be easy transfer C64 software for emulator.

I have wild imagination.. I was thinking using Playstation 3 bluetooth controller pad as N800 frodo controller. Wonder if there is other bluetooth controllers. Also using USB joystic with USB mini adapter with emulator would be cool.

http://www.speed-link.de/prod.php?la...um=SL-6602-TBE

Last edited by Mika73; 2007-04-12 at 14:00.

Any Frodo news?

If somebody wants to lend me a ps3 bluetooth controller pad, I'd be delighted to write the driver.

Writing the driver for that other bluetooth gamepad I did only took a couple of hours.

Or you could wait a year until I buy a ps3 and hdtv of my own!

Originally Posted by Mika73 View Post
Any Frodo news?

... "nice to load images from memory card"
I have been busy with other ports, but if you use frodo, please leave some feedback. What works? What doesnt? Are there problems with Frodo on the n800 or can this version run w/o problems on both?

Frodo most needs scaled graphics. I'm currently looking into faster screen writes for this and other emulators and games.

Xsp pixel doubling seems to be only usable for some apps, unless someone can show us a way to work around the damage detection / undoubling issues.

Barring that, the only way to get fast screen writes is to emulate what ssvb has done for mplayer and write directly to the framebuffer. It would be nice if this could be done with cooperation from X and SDL, but the people who are qualified for this work seem to be otherwise employed or uninterested.

Loading disk images from memory card works fine here. Check the Frodo documentation for instructions.

I am waiting for install package, course I dont know how to install it manually.

Does Frodo fun full screen or small window?

Thanks