In xterm when I hit fn/sym and bring up the extra symbols...I have 4 rows. I noticed when I tap on any of the symbols in rows 1,2 and 4 it inputs the symbol and leaves the symbol screen. but on row three if I click a symbol it just highlights in blue that symbol. on row 3 it requires a double click to input the symbol. Is there a reason for this? and is it just me?

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
The same with me. Sometimes frustrating. It increases the probability of screen wearing (though, I hope, stylus is designed in a way not to harm the screen).

The reason:
Some keyboard layouts on some operating systems use something called "dead" keys, visible on screen keyboards as colored/depressed.

In some platforms you can press <space> after a dead key to trigger the actual characters. This works in sales

In some places, pressing a dead key twice will trigger the actual character.
This will work in a future service release.

The reason that ~ is a dead key is so that you can write:
español

a more complete list from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilde indicates:
ÃãẼẽĨĩÑñÕõP̃p̃ŨũṼṽỸỹ

The user interface is well, unfortunate, but this is not a bug in the browser.
And the UI team has already iterated to try to improve it slightly for a future service release

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?...ltiple&id=7210

The Following User Says Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 188 | Thanked: 185 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Those couple symbols are special, they can be used together with a letter to produce stuff like ü ã ŝ by selecting symbol then pressing letter. You can select themselves by doubletapping like you said or hitting space. So, not a bug, but important feature.

cell-modem-ui: home | packages - status: 0.5.1-1 in Extras
nowplayingd: home | packages - status: 0.1-2 in extras-devel
custom-pwkmenu: home - no packages yet.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tuminoid For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Unfortunately it's a not-very-well-explained feature, as quite a lot of people start threads about this. Maybe when one of these "dead" keys is pressed, a message should appear saying what to do next.