Active Topics

Apple Inc will give iPhone 4 users a free phone case to address growing complaints about reception problems that have hurt the company's shares and image.

from

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/22/20100716...e-fe50bdd.html

follow-up

Apple confronts iPhone reception issue

from
http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/app...870f4.html?x=0

----

Apple (NASDAQ: AAPL - news) boss Steve Jobs has admitted the company has problems with its iPhone 4 reception and has offered customers a free case to fix the problem.

Speaking at a news conference in the US, Jobs said: "We are not perfect. We know that you know that, and phones are not perfect either.

"But we want to make all of our users happy."

He said Apple will give free protective "bumper" cases to iPhone users, which should sort out the so-called "death grip" problem - a problem in which the user's hand can muffle or block the signal when the phone is held up.

Mr Jobs announced the giveaway at the company's headquarters in California and said those who have already bought the phone and new buyers will all be eligible.

He went on to say that those still unhappy with the service will be eligible for a full refund.

The manufacturer had at first claimed the problem was simply a fault with the signal strength indicator - but in fact the aerial built into the phone's casing has since been blamed.

Fox business correspondent Ashley Webster told Sky News the iPhone 4 problems have been growing for a long time.

"Apple at first rather flippantly responded to complaints and said, 'Hold it a different way.'"

Mr Jobs said the phone was "perhaps the best product we have ever made" and that it has sold three million iPhone 4s in less than a month.

He added that only 0.55% of users had complained about the new phones, and less than 2% had returned their phones.

The Apple boss began his speech at the news conference by saying his company was not the only one with aerial problems on its smartphone.

He went on to show a YouTube parody song about the aerial woes.

The free rubber case remedy is a step the innovative firm is not used to and Apple, long the darling of the tech world, has suffered recently over product glitches.

"This is certain a new chapter in Apple's PR history," Mr Webster said.

Stuff magazine editor Fraser Macdonald told Sky News that Apple will recover its standing in the industry.

"If it solves the problem Apple will be back to five stars," he said.

"A problem for Apple is they open themselves up to scrutiny as soon as they do anything," Mr Macdonald said.

The Apple boss downplayed the severity of the problems facing the firm.

"We're not feeling right now that we have a giant problem we need to fix," Mr Jobs said.

"This has been blown so out of proportion that it's incredible. I know it's fun to have a story, but it's less fun when you're on the other end of it."

Analysts have criticised Apple's first responses to reports of reception problems as dismissive, and cautioned that the company should not come across as arrogant.

But Mr Jobs apologised to buyers who had less than perfect experiences with the new device.

"We're going to do whatever it takes to make them happy and if we can't make them happy we're going to give them a full refund and say we're really sorry we inconvenienced you, and we're going to do better next time," he said.
-----

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Already being discussed here.

is it really nessessarry to post about iphone on maemo talk?!

any iphone users in here? if there is, i need help...
i cant get my N900 signal to drop! can you show me how? =)

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
At least shelf it in competitors or off-topic.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
It doesnt matter

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apple

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
i cant get my N900 signal to drop! can you show me how? =)
Here are some Tools

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=56948

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=56463?

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
End good, all good.
Finally the publick has achieved succes in proving Apple it is not done to suck yet another 29.9 USD out of its fan's wallets for a plastic cover that costs nothing to produce and should have been included with this "high end" device in the 1st place.

Nokia was smart enough to include the solution by design:

"then just use the kickstand"

it helps to not hold the device or hold it by kickstand to increase reception in marginal conditions.

Last edited by ste-phan; 2010-07-17 at 04:09.

The Following User Says Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 193 | Thanked: 92 times | Joined on May 2010 @ galveston, tx
When will we get a free battery from Nokia for our N900?

Will Nokia ever appease N900 users.

Posts: 247 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on May 2010 @ limassol cyprus
Originally Posted by noipv4 View Post
When will we get a free battery from Nokia for our N900?

Will Nokia ever appease N900 users.
At least apple is doing something about it(although i think they should recall every device released), not like nokia who dont give a ****!!

Good one nokia!!