Active Topics

Notices

NOTE: When you install it, it will also install another package called qt4 homescreen loader which acts as a shim between Qt and hildon desktop. In order for K9 Call to act as a widget on the desktop to work, you will have to restart the device.

K9 Call is a portrait oriented T9 inspired contact lookup and calling widget. Basically what it does is if you wanted to lookup someone who goes by the name "Test Unicode" for example, you would type in 8378 for (Test). The main rational behind using a T9 like system is that while in portrait mode, a number pad is significantly easier to use than a full on screen keyboard .

To look up a contact, simply enter the T9 code for what you want until contacts start showing up. You can switch between possible matches by pressing the triangle key. You can cycle through the contact's phone number by clicking on the contacts name. You will have to click on the contacts name at least once before you dial because it dials the number shown on the top verbatim. That was an intentional design choice in order to allow or the K9 Call widget to be able to act as a simple dialing pad as well (just type in any number and press call).

An important limitation right now is that you have to refresh the cache that it uses to track numbers manually (go into configurations). I did that because refreshing takes quite a bit of time (30 seconds on 250 contacts). You only need to refresh it if you add in new contacts or remove existing contacts. You don't need to update if you're just adding/removing phone numbers (for now).

Lastly, about the "T9" keys. It currently only supports the English alphabet plus ä (mapped to 2), ö (mapped to 6), ü (mapped to 8), and ß (mapped to 7). I could add in more exotic characters fairly easily, I just need to know which number maps to them.

Also, the 0 key which represents space is also "special". If present, K9 Call will split the T9 code into two sections and match for first name and last name. So for "Test Unicode", I can instead type in 8086 ("T" then "Un"). I implemented that feature because I happen to know quite a few Andrews so it is faster just to type A [space] [Last name].

PS: I do realize that this widget completely breaks the "no widget should take up more than half the space" rule but I sort of like the size of my buttons .

Edit: The package K9 Call should be in the devel repo. Link: http://maemo.org/packages/view/k9call/
Attached Images

Last edited by vrwarp; 2010-07-18 at 03:43.

The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to vrwarp For This Useful Post:
NICE!!!
ill just dedicate one whole screen to that, my contacts, and the phone widget!

Last edited by mangal_sk8erboy; 2010-07-17 at 10:59.

hey, ive installed it..but i cant seem to find the widget anywhere!help?

i cant find the homescreen loader on the app manager.

is it possible to give you the hebrew t9 keymap and u'll add it plz?
i really like the idea btw

Posts: 263 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ wales
love the idea, but cant seem to actually make a call with it, also, it doesnt see all my contacts but great work

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Germany
A real good idea

@mangal_sk8erboy It should automatically install the qt homescreen loader (it is a dependency). All you should have to do after you first install it is restart the device then add it from the widget menu.

@dscobsct what happens when you press the call button?

@ironm8 Most likely yes. But I need you to give me a mapping of which number maps to which hebrew character. Also is it necessary to change what the numbers say to make it usable?

Posts: 353 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ India
Wow...its an awesome widget... thats the only thing i missed in the N900..a good call widget...thanks a lot!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to arora.rohan For This Useful Post: