Active Topics

I have tethering problem, I connect to internet on my desktop pc via n900. My pc runs both ubuntu and windows. The internet connection is always on when I connect with the Modem Stick, but when I switch to N900 the connection drops like 3min later or some time abit longer, or happens frequently till I get very mad about it. It happens on both OS. I tried disconnecting on n900 then connect to internet via PC, the problem still remain.

I tried again with unplugging all the USB except n900, the problems still remain. I know there is nothing wrong with Service Provider because my area is 3.5g always on and when I using the same network with modem stick, the connection did not drops. And the connection on the phone is 24/7 so the phone is fine too.

I think it just a matter of between the phone and the pc. So far I am praying and hoping my connection wont drop after writing this post. Does anyone have the same problem.?

seems like I only have the problem.

Originally Posted by hteink.min View Post
seems like I only have the problem.
i think so, since i am using it sometimes and very stable. but i am using xp though. only once i tried it using ubuntu and it works fine too.

try to reflash your firmware ?

I seem to have the same problem. It seemed like when the connection becomes idle for a while it has problem connecting again. Can't be sure that its a problem with n900 or the network.

What I did was that I sent a continuous ping command to the google :P so that the connection doesn't go idle . It worked for me at that time. You can try doing the same.

The Following User Says Thank You to PathFinder@9GS For This Useful Post:
Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
Do you have AutoDisconnect installed?

One other thing to try would be MobileHotspot - see if you continue getting the same disconnect problem - if no then I would start thinking about your service provider being the problem. It's remotely possible they are scanning browser strings and such to figure out if you are tethering - then disconnecting you a few minutes later.

He said it wasn't his service provider...

Any way, I'm having the same problem as well. Ubuntu 10.10 (and previous) constantly disconnects and it's not the provider, it's the phone or Network Manager. After a disconnect, I can access the net from the phone, but Network Manager won't connect until I disconnect and reconnect the phone.

Only way to rule out if it is a Network Manager bug or a Maemo bug would be to use Windows or some other non-Network-Manager-OS, but I don't have any of that. However, if this is the same problem as hteink.min's then it is the phone dropping the tethering since a USB stick works.

As for the auto-disconnect comment, definitely not, I haven't installed anything like that nor would I set it up to do that if there is an option for it. That would be a pretty silly option if there was...

Even if the service provider changed hteink.min's IP, that shouldn't break the connection between PC and phone.

This has been a bug since I got the phone, and sometimes I can stay online for quite a while. Once it even stayed on all night long, but usually I will get a few hours out of it before it drops, sometimes only a few minutes, and sometimes it won't connect at all, and I will have to unplug and replug it in again until it starts working again. I'm using TMobile, but it doesn't sound like this problem is the provider.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Yfrwlf View Post
He said it wasn't his service provider...

Any way, I'm having the same problem as well. Ubuntu 10.10 (and previous) constantly disconnects and it's not the provider, it's the phone or Network Manager.
There is no Ubuntu 10.10 as of now.

NetworkManager versions as of Ubuntu 10.04 has undergone big changes on PAN/DUN/RFCOMM layer.

I can confirm the same problem with Nokia N900 Maemo 5 PR1.2, Ubuntu 10.04 AMD64, and OpenVPN (stock Ubuntu version).

Are you people using DUN or PAN? Please specify. Have you tried on different locations and verified phone reception was well? To Ubuntu users, I'd suggest to try with wvdial(1) to see if you can reproduce the issue. I will try to reproduce the issue on a Macbook Pro.

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
There is no Ubuntu 10.10 as of now.
Yeah, you're right, I lied.

Once again, the original poster stated that they used a USB stick and it worked. That means it's not the provider or reception, it is the phone. If you wanted to be technical you could speculate that the phone could have a smaller antenna and worse reception but that's silly.

I'm continuing to play with mine to see if anything will help.

Oh and as for DUN or PAN, I have no clue what those are or how to find out nor do I have time to look it up at the moment, sorry.