Notices

Posts: 27 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ United States
So I'm curious if anyone has looked into this...

Is there any wired option for a game controller available for the N900? I understand the N900 doesn't support USB host mode so not sure if that makes this a no go. I fly often and love my mupen64plus! But I just remembered you can't use bluetooth on the plane

Any ideas for a controller that could interface with microUSB??

Posts: 458 | Thanked: 274 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Finland
Sorry, before we get USB hostmode I think you won't be able to use any wired controllers.

you can't use bluetooth on plane?

Posts: 94 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Germany
You can but you are not allowed to. On Start and landing: no electronics, while flight: no radio (so no FM radio, no GSM/UMTS and no WiFi/Bluetooth).

Posts: 1,210 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ hamburg,germany
i heard somewhere(tv i think)that the whole phone off in a plane story is just something like a myth.they said in the new airplanes are special radar systems or something but i dont hold my breath for that

Nobody likes us but we dont care....

Originally Posted by atilla View Post
i heard somewhere(tv i think)that the whole phone off in a plane story is just something like a myth.they said in the new airplanes are special radar systems or something but i dont hold my breath for that
I don't doubt that newer technology makes the concern from cell phones obsolete however I think they haven't done enough research to allow people to use wireless features freely. A lot of planes on American have been recently outfitted with wi-fi so I'm sure it's not long that all planes will have this.

However in the meantime, I'd love a way to comfortably play games with my n900

Originally Posted by drums4life687 View Post
I don't doubt that newer technology makes the concern from cell phones obsolete however I think they haven't done enough research to allow people to use wireless features freely. A lot of planes on American have been recently outfitted with wi-fi so I'm sure it's not long that all planes will have this.

However in the meantime, I'd love a way to comfortably play games with my n900
For starters phones do not work well on planes anyway... due to their nature of switching between towers they are programmed specifically for ground usage. As such, I feel even if there were no issue... I believe the principal of a quiet plane to be a good one.

I recently ran across this issue on a 5 hour flight when I pulled out my N900 only to realize I couldn't enable bluetooth to sync up my PS3 controller :P

I did it any way =x Removed the SIM.. booted into normal mode and disabled wifi and off I went.

Originally Posted by IzzehO View Post
For starters phones do not work well on planes anyway... due to their nature of switching between towers they are programmed specifically for ground usage. As such, I feel even if there were no issue... I believe the principal of a quiet plane to be a good one.

I recently ran across this issue on a 5 hour flight when I pulled out my N900 only to realize I couldn't enable bluetooth to sync up my PS3 controller :P

I did it any way =x Removed the SIM.. booted into normal mode and disabled wifi and off I went.
Well it's a little easier than that to use the N900 on the plane. If you hit the power button and enable offline mode before you take off, shut your phone off until electronic devices are allowed and boot up, you'll be in offline mode and cellular service, bluetooth and wi-fi will already be disabled. Slightly more convenient than removing sim each time. I've used my N900 plenty of times on the plane with this method.

Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
So I'm curious if anyone has looked into this...

Is there any wired option for a game controller available for the N900? I understand the N900 doesn't support USB host mode so not sure if that makes this a no go. I fly often and love my mupen64plus! But I just remembered you can't use bluetooth on the plane

Any ideas for a controller that could interface with microUSB??
You might want to look at the gamegripper which is on it's way to the N900 http://www.game-gripper.eu/

The Following User Says Thank You to ToJa92 For This Useful Post:
Well it's a little easier than that to use the N900 on the plane. If you hit the power button and enable offline mode before you take off, shut your phone off until electronic devices are allowed and boot up, you'll be in offline mode and cellular service, bluetooth and wi-fi will already be disabled. Slightly more convenient than removing sim each time. I've used my N900 plenty of times on the plane with this method.
Yeah go ahead and try and enable bluetooth in offline mode. ... Exactly. My point in doing this was to ensure I put off no 3G signal while switching from Offline to Normal then to Offline+Bluetooth