Active Topics

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/22/n...r-as-ceo-says/

Posted this in the CEO thread but people seemed to have lost interest in that thread. Nokia really needs to do something as it can't continue to lose ground like this. And does not seem simply selling a billion $1 phones is going to be what helps.

Posts: 346 | Thanked: 139 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Houston Texas
Yes, we all read Engadget lol.

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Lisboa, Portugal
I guess I will keep betting on the technology and not the company behind it.

But if Nokia does not perform that well then all things Nokia get dragged along and that will suck. In my opinion they just need to be clear with their purpose and stay focused. If MeeGo is now the brand they want to promote, fine, just don't turn 90º in the next couple of years and the community will grow around it bringing the benefits Nokia intended in the first place.

Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
Well Nokia didn't issue anything good after the N900. We'll see if N8 and N9 will change that.

Posts: 288 | Thanked: 196 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London
Silver lining in this cloud is smartphone marketshare which is up to 41%. Interestingly Apple is making a ton of profits but its marketshare is declining while Nokia and even hTc is rising. Nokia looks good long term. Heck of a staying power it has.

http://communities-dominate.blogs.co...are-again.html

Posts: 89 | Thanked: 48 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Glasgow
Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
And does not seem simply selling a billion $1 phones is going to be what helps.
Their problem isn't the quantity of the units they're shipping. The problem is that Symbian often lags behind other offerings in terms of user experience. Symbian^4 does look like it'll be an improvement, and MeeGo too. But already that introduces uncertainty.

Part of the reason Apple's app store works so well is that developers are targeting one fairly consistent platform. Symbian across many, many devices isn't nearly so consistent, and its future on high-end devices (where apps make their money...) doesn't look so certain so certain.

Nokia need to trim down their line of handsets. I think they're slowly moving toward that, with their new numbering scheme. But they also need consistency. The N8 looks like a good handset, but it's Symbian^3, and Nokia have already stated that no other Nseries handset will run Symbian^3. So why would any app developer want to support it? And why support Symbian^4 if few Nseries phones will run that? Or will Nokia skip Symbian^4 and jump straight to MeeGo on the Nseries? Either way, how long will that take?

The core reason they're losing ground is because Nokia themselves come across as muddled and uncertain about their direction. If only they could pin themselves down... "Hey, we're releasing the N8 soon, running Symbian^3. The Ovi store is ready for you to develop apps, hey, here's the SDKs! We'll release the N9 next year, and it'll run Symbian^4. Your Symbian^3 apps will be backward compatible!"

I'm sure all this information is out there, but it's released piecemeal. One reason Apple's press goes so well is that they tell the press "Hey, on this date we're going to tell you what we're doing for the next six months".

At least they're still profiting. But for how long if they can't focus their game?

Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
I don't see this as unexpected. They made the choice of taking time out to redesign their bread and butter OS, Symbian, and only release their next new high end device once the software is perfect. They learnt their lesson from the N97 debacle.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maluka For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Mwahahahaha

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I remember when Apple needed 150 million from Microsoft to stay afloat and when I bought their stock, it was less than 12.50 USD. 10 years later, it's over 220.00 USD. Nokia is now hovering around 8.75 USD per stock... and it's historically been as high as 40.00 within recent times (4/5 years).

With that said, I feel as if they will get back there, but it's all long-term. All of their moves now will dictate that. This is just a lull. Apple had one and bounced back. Nokia can do the same.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Before buying more NOK.. the question is... can you imagine them doing any 'worse' than they are right now?
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!