Notices

Posts: 43 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Hi.

Announcing an initial release of an app that launch a browser when you connect to certain WLANs. It works for me - I use it on a daily basis and perhaps this is what you've been looking for.

Download/Install: http://repository.maemo.org/extras-d..._0.0.3_all.deb (it's in Extras-devel)
More info: http://wifi-assistant.garage.maemo.org/

/ Fredrik

Last edited by fredrik_wendt; 2010-08-01 at 21:52.

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to fredrik_wendt For This Useful Post:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to linuxeventually For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by linuxeventually View Post
Have you thought of porting Conler to Fremantle?...
Nope. I just needed something to get me on the company's WLAN. Conler seems to require more from the user - I intend to keep Wifi Assistant really simple. At least for now.

The Following User Says Thank You to fredrik_wendt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 346 | Thanked: 139 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Houston Texas
Thanks for this, this will save some time when I connect to my company's Wi-Fi and that pesky web agreement.

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Connecticut, United States
i needed this so bad, thank you for making my life easier.

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Connecticut, United States
Is there a possibility to define the browser in which the page should be opened, cause opera remembers the protal login credentials?

The Following User Says Thank You to alienhead For This Useful Post:
Posts: 323 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Gent, Belgium
thanks for starting this.
I do have 3 requests, maybe for future versions, if you feel like it

In sequence of difficulty I guess :

- as a previous poster said, leave the choice to the user for which browser to use. Some browser cache input field better than others. That already helps the persistancy issue for passwords/user IDs/emails

- could you give for each BSSID the option of entering a specific curl command string ? That would also solve the password saving issue and no full-blown webbrowser (with delays) has to be started. Would save system and user time for repeating logons.

- more difficult, can you include the MAC address in the list for the APs ? To have a more granular control as not all access points with the same SSID 'behave' the same : eg. 'semi open/free' ones in a pub or office as opposed to pure commercial ones outside. I guess for grouping purposes, then a higher level 'entity' would have to be entered, like "Office Watford" or "Wetherspoons" or "BT Lounges", collecting all MAC addresses belonging to a certain SSID, with a specific behaviour.

Just some thoughts ...

Thanks again.

The Following User Says Thank You to Netweaver For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by alienhead View Post
Is there a possibility to define the browser in which the page should be opened, cause opera remembers the protal login credentials?
Not at this moment, though I guess it should be fairly easy to add support for this. Perhaps you could help me and tell me what the name of the executable binary is, and what arguments I need to pass? (You might even know if there's a better way to start the browser, such as through dbus?)

The Following User Says Thank You to fredrik_wendt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 323 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Gent, Belgium
Have a look at the homepage for the browser-switchboard tool.

It also contains the sources. I'm sure there's plenty of info in it.

To start a browser via dbus command : see here

The Following User Says Thank You to Netweaver For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Netweaver View Post
- leave the choice to the user for which browser to use.
Sure. I'm not sure how to populate that list. I do have three ideas:
* default - always available
* python built in - always available
* curl - if there's an executable with this name
* opera - if there's an executable with this name
* others?
I also intend this to be configurable per SSID and to have a "default" browser.

- could you give for each BSSID the option of entering a specific curl command string ? That would also solve the password saving issue and no full-blown webbrowser (with delays) has to be started. Would save system and user time for repeating logons.
My backlog contained "individual URL per SSID", which could look like "http://myisp.net/portal/?user=xxx&pass=yyy" but I guess that might not be enough. I'm thinking that I'll stick with this for any SSID setting where the "default" browser is selected. If curl is chosen, any number of additional arguments could be added.

- more difficult, can you include the MAC address in the list for the APs ? To have a more granular control as not all access points with the same SSID 'behave' the same : eg. 'semi open/free' ones in a pub or office as opposed to pure commercial ones outside. I guess for grouping purposes, then a higher level 'entity' would have to be entered, like "Office Watford" or "Wetherspoons" or "BT Lounges", collecting all MAC addresses belonging to a certain SSID, with a specific behaviour.
I see your point. I'd like to keep this app fairly simple and keep details or advanced features out of sight as long as possible.
What I'd like to do in this case is to change the overall algorithm and add a new button somewhere: "Create setting for specific MAC(s)", where you could specify MAC addresses instead of a single SSID, and set all options.
When a connection is established, the algorithm would try to match on MAC before matching on SSID. Would that work for you?

Just some thoughts ...

Thanks again.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts!