Active Topics

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
why did you replace the plug instead of just fixing the original one back?

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by TiagoTiago View Post
why did you replace the plug instead of just fixing the original one back?
The original port was damaged so I could not use it to fix the old one. Also the fix was much easier with the new port because the pins were longer. In the old one they were "under" it so a proper connection could have been more difficult.

Ordering a port online could have been a good idea but I did not want to wait nor receive a port that would not have been any use for this project.

The best alternative is to rely on warranty or not to break/yank the original at all

Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Originally Posted by Nipperoid View Post
i did this on day one to all my usb's
good one, and it seems to be effective coz i dont see or hear someone with a failed usb micro after filing......

and its better, coz i did mine on week 2 after i got my n900, and until now its okay.

but this thread really is the exception of "prevention is better than cure"

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

Last edited by gabby131; 2010-08-09 at 14:41.

Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Originally Posted by AtteK0 View Post

no offense but it looks like you are working hard with your n900. makes me say coz of the damage.

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

The Following User Says Thank You to gabby131 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 33 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Kiev, UA
Originally Posted by SpeedEvil View Post
There are several problems with this.

Firstly, it is quite possible to screw your n900 by taking it apart - at least one actual electronic engineer by profession has had it fail due to the LCD cable not working afterwards.

Secondly - the PCB has between six and eight layers - you absolutely cannot see where circuits are. Drilling through it is a really bad idea.

Thirdly - you can get exactly matching USB connectors from digikey.com or mouser.com or ... for a couple of dollars.

Fourthly - if you're not sure it's covered by warranty, ask first before soldering!

Thanks! I don`t have eEngineering background, Wouldn`t have thought that boards are now multilayered...oh boy, I`m 27 and too old for this stuff

Anyway, another question for the topicstarter - you get another port architecture just to see if it`s doable? I mean, is it possible to install new micro-usb port in N900 and harden it in some way (like you did)?

Thanks!

Posts: 112 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on May 2010 @ New Zealand
i'm amazed how you managed to do that to your phone.......

the only solution i can think of is to buy an external battery charger (easily found in asian countries) that charges the battery itself. I.e, it's a battery charging dock so does not require your phone to be connected.

my port has broken 4 times already, under proper use. im bookmarking this for my next solution :P

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
FOUR times under proper use ..........? :O