Active Topics

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Some of you might have already heard that there is a little PyQt app (by yours truly) to make testing less painful for devs, and more streamlined for testers without sacrificing quality. The name originates from the KISS principle. The app runs on your N900 and has a few special powers compared to what the web interface can do, most importantly being able to list the applications that you have installed and that are in need of testing/voting, plus naturally the ability to actually vote on packages. Now, such an app can easily wreak havoc in testing, especially in it's current, WiP state, so there is a failsafe in place. The initial release is set up to operate in read-only mode as the primary goal is to gather feedback about the app itself. This is just to avoid random people thumbing all over the place without understanding what's going on until we iron out the kinks.

Note - it is VERY rough around the edges. VERY rough, so be careful and at least in this first phase doublecheck what you do on the web interface so we minimize inconvenience to developers. Treat this release as a special tech-preview.

Legend:

- Arrows/Update - the package is already present in Extras with a previous version
- Tick means the package has enough votes to be unlocked
- Hourglass means quarantine time elapsed
- Open padlock means promotion unlocked, package can be promoted

Known issues:
- some operations don't handle progress bars properly
- details and install buttons don't yet work
- package/queue details are not cached so startup is slow

Comments (and patches !) welcome.

http://gitorious.org/kisstester
http://maemo.org/packages/view/kisstester/
Attached Images

Last edited by attila77; 2010-08-18 at 20:32.

The Following 53 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Color code legend:

The BORDER color signals YOUR already cast votes. Green is T-up, red is T-down
The TEXT color signals the unlock status (like on the web). Green text means the package is unlocked, red means it has negative karma.
Overloading with various parts being colored can be confusing. Might I suggest a combination of:
  • Placing the up/down icon in the row if one has voted on it
  • Placing an open-lock / no-sign in the row if its unlocked or has negative votes.
  • Giving it a green border for either up or unlocked, giving it a red border for either down or negative votes (unlocked/negative has precedence)
  • Graying out the row when it is already voted on, unlocked, or has negative votes

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by epage View Post
[*]Placing the up/down icon in the row if one has voted on it
Actually that is how I started out, but realized that it's much harder to spot packages I have not voted on, that's when I added color codes, but obviously that's just my impression.

Also, we have one more thing to display - when the package has enough votes, but has not yet reached the 10 day quarantine (maybe an unlocked padlock AND a watch icon ? Or the other way around, watch icon displayed on packages that HAVE cleared the time-quarantine ?)

Random feedback from 5 minutes of playing with it
  • Please mark the password fields as such.
  • I went into settings, entered my credentials, then clicked "already installed" and it asked me for my credentials again without even auto-filing with what I put in settings.
  • Please move "Already installed"/"Complete QA" to be an app menu filter.
  • Formatting with name, details button, qa button could be improved (looks odd) but am unsure the best approach
  • How does it and how should it act when a newer version from -devel is installed (maybe remind the person to promote it when ready?)
  • Could the QA criteria be started off as tri-stated/indeterminate? The pass button would only be enabled when all are checked and the fail button would be enabled when any of them are unchecked. My interest in this is to get an explicit sign off hoping it might discourage people jumping straight down and voting based on if they like it.
  • Do you plan on bug tracker integration?
  • Show the bugtracker link?
  • Show the results of the optification check script I've heard of before?
  • Show a list of dependencies so they can be checked for optification? (mostly for things like fbreader where both are from the same person).
  • Use stacked windows?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Too much color coding. Maybe red/green for one thing, but i prefer icons.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Actually that is how I started out, but realized that it's much harder to spot packages I have not voted on, that's when I added color codes, but obviously that's just my impression.
Someone probably only cares about voting (1) if they haven't voted and (2) if its not already voted to pass or oblivion. So by this only one color would be needed (border since text colors can sometimes be harder to read depending on the theme).

Also to make things stand out is why I suggested graying out (going for mid color I think?) apps that have met either of the two above requirements.

The Following User Says Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by epage View Post
[*]Please mark the password fields as such.
They are marked in Designer as such, it seems a Qt bug is at play (workaround possible)

[*]I went into settings, entered my credentials, then clicked "already installed" and it asked me for my credentials again without even auto-filing with what I put in settings.
Noted, will fix.

[*]Please move "Already installed"/"Complete QA" to be an app menu filter.
OK. I suppose there would be a Filter option in the menu which would pop-up queue or already installed (I guess the most reasonable default would be already installed on app startup)

[*]Formatting with name, details button, qa button could be improved (looks odd) but am unsure the best approach
Agreed, it is as it is because I had no better idea how to organize the layout.

[*]How does it and how should it act when a newer version from -devel is installed (maybe remind the person to promote it when ready?)
It doesn't act, if you have installed a version that is not in extras-testing, it should disappear from the 'already installed' section.

[*]Could the QA criteria be started off as tri-stated/indeterminate? The pass button would only be enabled when all are checked and the fail button would be enabled when any of them are unchecked. My interest in this is to get an explicit sign off hoping it might discourage people jumping straight down and voting based on if they like it.
Hildon AFAIK doesn't have tri-state checkboxes, but I'll look around for any potential replacements.

[*]Do you plan on bug tracker integration?
Initially just a launch-via-dbus one (i.e. open browser or mailer), for more than that, I take patches

[*]Show the bugtracker link?[*]Show the results of the optification check script I've heard of before?[*]Show a list of dependencies so they can be checked for optification? (mostly for things like fbreader where both are from the same person).
I heard Jaffa mentioning this. I certainly think they are useful but would like help with it.

[*] Use stacked windows?
I use stacked windows (see screenshots ). Which dialog are you referring to ? I think there might be a race condition that can get you multiple vote windows (in which case only one will appear stacked)

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Just to make it clear - I'm happy to add features that help automate the process or provide additional useful info, but would very much like to receive those things as patches, allowing me to concentrate on the 'core'. Just don't make it depend on (another )100MB framework and I'll be happy to include it.

Posts: 193 | Thanked: 201 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Subotica, Serbia
Looks like there are some problems with encoding characters in name. For example I have installed MęPad and instead of the ę character it shows two characters, big A with wave on it, and two vertical lines one above the other.

The Following User Says Thank You to mmlado For This Useful Post:
Encoding hell, I welcome thee !

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:

Tags
extras qa, extras-testing, kisstester