Notices

Posts: 210 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ NYC!!!!!!!!!!!!
okay so i have been dealign with this for while now and i figured id throw it out to you amazing folks to digest and then regurgitate to me in the form of some delicious vomited words.......

i have noticed that when i send a text and i get a response that the tone that i have goes off after the first reply, however if i leave the window open (without "x"ing out) then the sms tone does not go off, instead it's this really quiet little "blip" sound.... i have missed so many texts because I expect to hear the ss tone and i ust dont.... the only way that i can heard the done everytime i get a response to a text is if i x out of the window.... then the phone (i guess) sees the incoming text as a new one so it applies the tone as expected....

any ideas?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ddiscodave For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
This is normal, you're in the same SMS contact while you're getting the message. If you go back to the main screen and leave the contact Opened in the multi-tasking windows or do something else then the tone will comes up.

Very simple.

The Following User Says Thank You to maxximuscool For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
This is normal, you're in the same SMS contact while you're getting the message. If you go back to the main screen and leave the contact Opened in the multi-tasking windows or do something else then the tone will comes up.

Very simple.
thanks for that man.... i guess my question is, is there a hack or something that i can apply to keep the tone the same regardless of if i've got the window open or not?

to the top

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Manchester UK
change the IM tone in settings - profiles

Originally Posted by andy82i View Post
change the IM tone in settings - profiles

i did that... this is the issue. i want the one i selected to ring regardless of whether the window is open or not.... try it for yourself.... text yourself then quickly close the window before the text comes thru. the tone you have on yours for sms will go off as expected... then text yourself again with the window open... i would be surprised if you were able to hear the same tone.

am i missing something?

The Following User Says Thank You to ddiscodave For This Useful Post:
Posts: 26 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Manchester UK
Ah my bad - looks like it doesnt do what i expected (mines just set to beep regardless of whats being received lol)
I did notice that if you minimise the conversations window so its still active on the dashboard, you get the full messsage tone instead of just a beep.
Not sure if this behaviour can be changed

Originally Posted by andy82i View Post
Ah my bad - looks like it doesnt do what i expected (mines just set to beep regardless of whats being received lol)
I did notice that if you minimise the conversations window so its still active on the dashboard, you get the full messsage tone instead of just a beep.
Not sure if this behaviour can be changed
thanks andy..... anyone else have an idea how to deal with this?????

to the top

Been having this issue too, missing sms's all over the place if i forget to close the window after sending my sms. The problem here is that it isn't even the IM sound or the email sound, so nothing can be changed in Profile that could fix this behavior.

If nothing can be done via settings, I'm assuming it could be done via dbus-scripts on sms recieved? Guess I'll look into it myself when I have time.

Edit: Well, at the very least, the sound that is played when you recieve a message when chat is focused is /usr/share/sounds/chat-msg_in_fg.wav . Replacing it with any valid wav file should work just fine. I replaced it with /usr/share/sounds/chat-start_new.wav for now and everything seems alright, if not for the fact that now every chat message recieved gets the sound effect. Should be a way to make it only play the loud sound if the screen is locked or somesuch.

Last edited by IcyAirs; 2010-09-24 at 04:27.