Hi guys i'm using "Simple Brightness Applet" but i want my screen to work on lowest brightness level during day and 2nd level during night.
I want N900 to adjust it automatically.
Is it possible?

Posts: 820 | Thanked: 436 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Portsmouth, UK.
You might be able to set something up using 'alarmed' from the repos, you'll have to ask in the simple brighness applet thread for the commands and then put that into alarmed.

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 936 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bulgaria
N900 does have light sensor. You can check it by just shading upper left corner with your hand - the screen will darken and then after removing your hand it will lighten up.
If you put brightness to 2nd level then it will be 2nd during light condition and 1st when it is dark around.
Are you sure you are not mistaken in your post - it is not natural to need lower brightness in light and higher in dark conditions. It is normally just the opposite and that's what display light sensor does(quite well) .

PS. It is "Power saving" option in Display settings that activates the light sensor. Check if it ON on your device.

Last edited by zlatko; 2010-08-15 at 09:38.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zlatko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
I've been told that prog overrides the automatic brightness compensation, though the default behavior is the opposite of what you want, it gets brighter when the environment is bright and darker when its dark (external lightsources doesn't help much with making the screen content brighter, i imagine they made the automatic adjustment work like that because your eyes get used to the brightness of the environment and the screen itself would appear darker without the adjustment)

I myself just keep it set to fullbright (which also overrides the automatic adjustment) because with the automatic adjustments it it looks too dark for me even in a brightly lit room.

Posts: 515 | Thanked: 266 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oelsted, Denmark
Originally Posted by zlatko View Post
N900 does have light sensor. You can check it by just shading upper left corner with your hand
I didn't know that this actually worked. Just tried it out and it takes a few seconds before it adjusts the display brightness, (I'm using Brightness Applet too) which makes sense. No need to adjust it "live". That would be pretty annoying IMHO...

Thanks for the info...

Originally Posted by zlatko View Post
N900 does have light sensor. You can check it by just shading upper left corner with your hand - the screen will darken and then after removing your hand it will lighten up.
If you put brightness to 2nd level then it will be 2nd during light condition and 1st when it is dark around.
Are you sure you are not mistaken in your post - it is not natural to need lower brightness in light and higher in dark conditions. It is normally just the opposite and that's what display light sensor does(quite well) .

PS. It is "Power saving" option in Display settings that activates the light sensor. Check if it ON on your device.
i need lower brightness in light and higher in dark conditions.I think it is more sensible but light sensor works the opposite

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 936 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bulgaria
@cross3131
Low brightness in light = hard to read display
High brihgtness in dark = pain for the eyes

I really don't see any logic in your request. Any way - no light sensor work against the common sense.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zlatko For This Useful Post:
If the screen could take advantage of external light, in bright environment it would need less backlight to maintain the same absolute brightness, and in a darker environment it would need more; that is how i expected it to work, but after observing how the screen really behaves, it seems ti tries to maintain a relative brightness in relation to the environment, and does not get any help from environment lighting.

I find this thread funny because, for the longest while I have been trying to disable the proximity light sensor. I only consider it a battery waster...

I think the proximity sensor and the light sensoe might not be the sensoe