About a month ago, I started having connection problems with my phone. I had just added a few applications from the development repository. One of them had to do with extending battery life by ceasing connections when the phone was not in use (I will get back to this application in a moment). Today, I tested my phone.

Out of 10 calls (all made within 3 minutes), 3 were Network Error, 3 were Connection Error and 1 was Network Busy error. 3 calls went through. These were all to Google 411. They were made from inside and outside of my house. I was able to call my phone from another mobile number 2 out of 4 dials during that time as well.

History
Here is what I have done/tried to this point:

I uninstalled ALL of my applications and deleted ALL of my catalogs. I still had connection errors.

I backed up my phone completely.

From the Settings menu, I re-booted the phone to factory settings I still had connection errors.

From the Settings menu, I cleared the device of all content. I still had connection errors.

I tried combinations of re-installing the operating system and re-booting and clearing the device. I still had connection errors.

I called my carrier, T-Mobile in the US, and found that they were not experiencing connection difficulties in my area (Chicago).

I called Nokia technical support. Ran through the basics (pull SIM, reboot, etc.) and still had the same problem. They referenced me to this page.

I re-flashed the device and flashed EMMC. This went exactly as the instructions said it would go. I still have problems with connection errors.

I am at the point of having to send the phone to Nokia for technical assistance. Before I do, is there anyone who has had this problem who has found another solution? Is this being caused by any residual code that was "leftover" from the power saving app in the developmental repository?

I have checked other threads on Network Errors, Connection Errors, Network Busy Errors but they seem to all encompass what I have already done.

Any help would be great. Further details: My phone shows full bars of 3G coverage, my wifi is connected, these errors also relate to text messages (unable to send/receive although the N900 shows the texts as sent). Unable to receive calls.

Sorry this is long-winded but I wanted to spell out the steps that I have taken.

Did you steal my phone? Because I have the exact same problems. About a month ago it started to happen, connection errors, only about 20% of people trying to call me get my phone to ring. Network errors, network busy etc etc.. it is one huge pain in the rear.

I'm also located in Chicago (what a coincidence, eh?) Namely on Canal and Taylor...

I'm really wondering if t-mobile f-d something up on their network in that area or our phones are all of a sudden not compatible with t-mobile anymore.

Thomas

Originally Posted by Scummer View Post
Did you steal my phone? Because I have the exact same problems. About a month ago it started to happen, connection errors, only about 20% of people trying to call me get my phone to ring. Network errors, network busy etc etc.. it is one huge pain in the rear.

I'm also located in Chicago (what a coincidence, eh?) Namely on Canal and Taylor...

I'm really wondering if t-mobile f-d something up on their network in that area or our phones are all of a sudden not compatible with t-mobile anymore.

Thomas
I have to say that hearing this makes me angry and gives me hope. On the one hand, maybe my phone isn't borked. On the other, maybe T-Mobile has messed up my service. I am in a box either way. I have an expensive device that will only possibly work on T-Mobile.

I sent the N900 back to Nokia today to ensure that all is well. I am pissed off to be without my phone for the next 7-14 days.

Scummer--What did you do with your phone? Did you talk to T-Mobile? To Nokia?

Anyone else having this problem in Chicago?

I haven't done anything yet, but my next step will be to exchange the SIM card. I already reflashed and stuff.. but that didn't help.

My wife's mytouch 3G slide also has some connection errors sometimes... I wonder if T-mobile's network is not up to par sometimes. I especially start having problems around lunch and 5pm when everyone and their grandmother is on the phone.

I will post when I get the phone back. We'll see what is going on. My connection errors seem to take place whenever. No rhyme or reason.

I travel a lot for work and so being out of contact is not an option. I don't know what I will do if T-Mobile is sh*tting on my connection. I am stuck with an incredible phone that is unusable. I don't want to imagine that option yet.

Posts: 346 | Thanked: 139 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Houston Texas
I am having similar problems on Tmobile.

Posts: 68 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Chicago
Originally Posted by Scummer View Post

Thomas
I've noticed exactly the same troubles, especially during the past 6 weeks. I work in the Kinzie/Milwaukee Ave. neighborhood of Chicago, and this is where I get the most network errors.
My feeling is that TMobile is at fault.

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Dobbs Ferry
I'm in NYC and have been having the same problems for the past few days.

Originally Posted by jr1415us View Post
I've noticed exactly the same troubles, especially during the past 6 weeks. I work in the Kinzie/Milwaukee Ave. neighborhood of Chicago, and this is where I get the most network errors.
My feeling is that TMobile is at fault.
I wonder if it has something to do with upgrading their service to higher network speed? Maybe their backend can't take the increased bandwidth the phones are pulling now and connections start failing?

Wild guess of course.. I wish I knew what the damn problem is.

Also in Chicago using T-Mobile USA.

Been having the same General Error, Network Busy, etc problems. I'm hoping the problem is on T-Mobile's end. They are upgrading backhaul in Chicago for HSPA+.

Usually if I wait awhile, or go up a couple blocks, I can make a call. So might be network related.

Tags
general error