Hi

I got a bunch of mkv files (AVC1 720x480, AC3 6ch) that N900 won't play, so I need to convert to something else. I tried to convert to ogg theora and my N900 opened it but the playback was extremely choppy.

So my question is: what the best format to convert to?

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Netherlands
convert to Xvid. The files are small and the quality is good. you can easily convert the files with "youtube downloader"

u can use ultra video splitter it have converter else very fast and very good

h264 baseline 3.0 works too

Thanks for the replies.

I've used Avidemux to reencode from mkv(AVC1) to avi (Xvid) and it plays nicely on N900.

But one problem remains, the mkv files contained optional subtitles that didn't transfer. What would be easiest way (on Linux) to reencode them also? (hard code them directly on the video would be Ok)

Originally Posted by Snusmumriken View Post
Thanks for the replies.

I've used Avidemux to reencode from mkv(AVC1) to avi (Xvid) and it plays nicely on N900.

But one problem remains, the mkv files contained optional subtitles that didn't transfer. What would be easiest way (on Linux) to reencode them also? (hard code them directly on the video would be Ok)
Have you tried extracting the subs, and having them placed in the same folder as the movie clips with the same names.

for example
movie.avi movie file
movie.srt sub file
movie.@ss sub file

just realized you can't have a with ss next to it.

if not, you may have to hard code the subs when you convert the files.

Cant there be made more codecs for the n900 so it will run everything? it must be possible to do so.. not that i know how

Banned | Posts: 388 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Mar 2010
See a few of my encoding tests: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=49220

Nice to see that XviD is finally supported ! Many phones want h.264 and whatnot in MP format and can't handle the .AVI container.....