Notices

please can someone recommend a web browser or app to give me full java and flash functionality, as in my earlier post ( cant see coparts vb2) i need to see web pages that run java script in a virtual bidding environment for my work, i have installed fire fox, opera but no better, also i have iced tea and tweek flash, but im still seeing nothing.

i signed up to a contract for the n900 based on its marketing spin as being a internet tablet phone, disappointed you bet, should have gone for an android, but like a fool i opted to stay loyal to nokia, great phone, but no good if you earn a living trading on the inetrnet.. please help and renew my faith........

thanks in advance....

i don't get it... there is like a gazillion threads about flash and recently about java (!=javascript)
if such a browser would exist i'm pretty sure you would have found it with the powersearch. i recomemend you use it next time

Posts: 458 | Thanked: 274 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Finland
Try iceweacel trough Easy Debian, it has at least full java support but I dont think it supports flash. I would still suggest you try it out since your site may work without it.

The Following User Says Thank You to MiK546 For This Useful Post:
My friend i have been looking to the point of going dizzy, basically if i can see it on my pc why cant i see the same page on the 900 im using firefox now and firefox on the 900 just says plugin required but wont find or go past that message, so why??

im no techy so be patient please....

Originally Posted by MiK546 View Post
Try iceweacel trough Easy Debian, it has at least full java support but I dont think it supports flash. I would still suggest you try it out since your site may work without it.
thanks mik

i will explore further

regards

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 663 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australia (Melbourne/vic) / Lebanon (Zgharta/north)
dude try google chrome, its not so easy to use, and its as smooth as the microB (default browser) but i might do what u want it to do .
and plus if this phone wasn't capable of doing it, there is no chance in hell an android will do it.

The Following User Says Thank You to elie-7 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by elie-7 View Post
dude try google chrome, its not so easy to use, and its as smooth as the microB (default browser) but i might do what u want it to do .
and plus if this phone wasn't capable of doing it, there is no chance in hell an android will do it.

thanks for that i have been looking for the download, can you give me some help here for this, im no expert, so itemised instruction would be well helpfull.......

thanks

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 663 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australia (Melbourne/vic) / Lebanon (Zgharta/north)
ok...its very simple, first of all enable the devels (make sure you have the package rootsh installed, its avaible in the extras) and than
Open a terminal,
sudo gainroot
apt-get install libxss1
this will install libxss .
than download "chromium_5.0.369.2-maemo4_armel.deb" from this website http://maemo.jacekowski.org/pool/free/c/chromium/ and than transfer it to the device via usb cable, and open it in the app manager, this will install google chrome on your n900.
TIP: Apparently you can make Chromium more finger friendly by installing an extension called Chrome Touch (tip courtesy of zehjotkah in the talk.maemo.org forum)

The Following User Says Thank You to elie-7 For This Useful Post:
Don't bother with Chromium (not the same as Chrome, btw -- Chrome doesn't exist for us); until there's a Java plugin available in Maemo (at which point it will work with all/most browsers (e.g. MicroB, Fennec)), it doesn't handle Java either.

I've heard (and IIRC experienced in the past) that Debian does indeed have a Java plugin available for armel -- I don't have it installed ATM. but MiK546's suggestion is almost certainly the best one. If that doesn't work out for you, another option might be to use a PC browser via VNC. RDP, etc. -- laggy, but at least it'll work.

While your frustration is understandable, keep in mind this is business as usual -- e.g. Apple claims iStuff delivers the full internet experience with no Flash, Java, etc. Nokia does get you Flash (well, maybe not the current version) and calls that good with no Java, etc.. Ultimately, you've gotta treat advertisement as inherently untrustworthy in general, and specifically for anything that requires a plug-in in your desktop browser, the only way you can really expect a mobile device to handle it is to inform yourself (e.g. lose the javascript/java confusion, don't try Flash tweaks to fix the lack of a Java plugin) and verify that that specific feature is listed in the device specs, or confirmed by someone with the actual device in their hands.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by elie-7 View Post
ok...its very simple, first of all enable the devels (make sure you have the package rootsh installed, its avaible in the extras) and than
Open a terminal,
sudo gainroot
apt-get install libxss1
this will install libxss .
than download "chromium_5.0.369.2-maemo4_armel.deb" from this website http://maemo.jacekowski.org/pool/free/c/chromium/ and than transfer it to the device via usb cable, and open it in the app manager, this will install google chrome on your n900.
TIP: Apparently you can make Chromium more finger friendly by installing an extension called Chrome Touch (tip courtesy of zehjotkah in the talk.maemo.org forum)

many thanks elie... i have downloaded and installed chromium, it works......
however would you believe, on my particular web site when prompted to login i fill in the requirements but the site wont accept my info, this has also happened today on a freinds htc, i thought it was me entering in the wrong username but i have now had the same experience???.. strange as you would expect a usa global company to have a web site that accepts all systems??? or is it a setting in chrome??

many thanks for your advice so far..

much appreciated...

cheers