It seems Sun are porting the UI part of "phone ME advanced" to the N800 for JavaOne next week.

http://blogs.sun.com/hinkmond/entry/..._of_crunchtime

Yes!

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
This is awesome!

And of course utterly obliterates any statements of those swearing this would never happen.

Posts: 708 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Too Close To D.C
In what capacity will this improve the N800?

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ It's dark in here. I hear laughing.
This will add new applications to the N800. This is a port of J2ME: Java 2 Micro Edition. It's not the standard edition of Java that runs on desktop PCs and the like.

I think it's interesting that Sun chose to implement J2ME instead of J2SE. It perhaps reveals what they think of the N800: a phone-like device with phone-like resources. J2ME applications are more display-restricted than J2SE devices, but tend to be more communications-aware. They are designed to run on resource-sparse platforms.

As an example, go to "http://j2me.ngphone.com/opensource/".

I wonder what Sun's other Java/N800 plans are?

-F

Last edited by frethop; 2007-05-04 at 20:13.

Posts: 708 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Too Close To D.C
Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by frethop View Post
This will add new applications to the N800. This is a port of J2ME: Java 2 Micro Edition. It's not the standard edition of Java that runs on desktop PCs and the like.

I think it's interesting that Sun chose to implement J2ME instead of J2SE. It perhaps reveals what they think of the N800: a phone-like device with phone-like resources.
That's a very wide spread mis-understanding. What you describe is J2ME CLDC aka Phone ME Feature.

What Sun are porting is J2ME CDC aka Phone ME Advanced. CDC is the basis of the versions of Java used in Blu-ray players and TV set-top boxes. Personal Profile (mentioned in the Sun blog) builds on CDC to create the successor to PersonalJava which was found on the old Nokia Communicator devices.

Technically CDC is considerably closer to J2SE than it is to CLDC. There's even a subset of swing which can run on it although I don't think that's been open sourced yet.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
That makes much more sense, traveller, thanks!

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ It's dark in here. I hear laughing.
Originally Posted by traveller View Post
What Sun are porting is J2ME CDC aka Phone ME Advanced. CDC is the basis of the versions of Java used in Blu-ray players and TV set-top boxes. Personal Profile (mentioned in the Sun blog) builds on CDC to create the successor to PersonalJava which was found on the old Nokia Communicator devices.

Technically CDC is considerably closer to J2SE than it is to CLDC. There's even a subset of swing which can run on it although I don't think that's been open sourced yet.
Thanks for the clarification. A CDC would imply that the implementation uses a standard JVM core, not a KVM core. And this would allow more conventional Java programming, which would be indeed be closer to J2SE. That's good news.

I still find it interesting that Sun did not port J2SE. The vision of the N800 seems to be more like a set-top box than a Linux computer. Didn't PersonalJava just kind of fade away? For example, it was built into SymbianOS for a while (Nokia Communicators, SonyEricsson P800), then Symbian started embracing J2ME.

I hope this takes off better and faster.

-F

I hope we will be able to do some kind of GUI stuff with this port. I am a java programmer myself and would love to be able to do some swing on my N800. I want to do some home automation stuff and was not looking forward to learn python

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
How many seperate individuals/groups are working on porting J2ME to the Internet Tablet platform now? I reckon it's at least 3 now - shame they can't work together!

An official Sun port would be quite cool though as it would lend further credebility to the IT platform and perhaps may even receive official backing from Nokia - the assertion that Nokia think Flash and AJAX fills the void left by Java will now be challenged.

The Following User Says Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post: