Active Topics

Poll: How much apps do you typically keep open on your N900?
Poll Options
How much apps do you typically keep open on your N900?

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 1,679 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Helsinki
Obviously, multitasking in the Nokia N900 is rather decent (my way of saying it's the best out there). BUT, are you making full use of it? Help me to understand how you use the multitasking feature. Your feedback is appreciated and taken into account in the MeeGo Marketing approach now and in the future.

The Following 70 Users Say Thank You to Peter@Maemo Marketing For This Useful Post:
And Nokia rears it head!

I use it daily. More RAM and a better swap model would make it less painful. I hope MeeGo does not suffer from the unresponsiveness issues (completely ignoring input for a considerable amount of time) that occasionally creep up.

Also, you guys need to pipe up more. The silence is deafening.

The Following 35 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
After I boot up, I launch Email and Conversations and leave them always running. Other than SMS convo windows, I don't usually leave anything else open

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EverythingBlaxx For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
And Nokia rears it head!

I use it daily. More RAM and a better swap model would make it less painful. I hope MeeGo does not suffer from the unresponsiveness issues (completely ignoring input for a considerable amount of time) that occasionally creep up.

Also, you guys need to pipe up more. The silence is deafening.
I hear what you are saying and that's why I want to know some stats. May they be representative or not.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Peter@Maemo Marketing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 26 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Philadelphia
I use it extensively, and I would be frustrated without it. I currently have nine apps running:
  • the clock/alarm app,
  • an X terminal (running an ssh session)
  • the phone
  • contacts
  • the file manager
  • a web browser window
  • Conboy
  • an IM window
  • an app which helps me catalogue my book collection (I wrote this myself and it doesn't have a good name)

I do usually close apps when I'm done with them, but these have all been recently used.

You could probably get an interesting response by asking this on /r/n900/ as well.

Last edited by marnanel; 2010-09-07 at 15:02. Reason: list formatting

The Following User Says Thank You to marnanel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Multitasking on the N900 is great, but I usually only have 1-3 apps open at a time. Having more apps open certainly calls for trouble when you try to answer the next phone call.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marnanel View Post
I use it extensively, and I would be frustrated without it. I currently have nine apps running:
  • the clock/alarm app,
  • an X terminal (running an ssh session)
  • the phone
  • contacts
  • the file manager
  • a web browser window
  • Conboy
  • an IM window
  • an app which helps me catalogue my book collection (I wrote this myself and it doesn't have a good name)

I do usually close apps when I'm done with them, but these have all been recently used.

You could probably get an interesting response by asking this on /r/n900/ as well.
Thanks. You might not be the "average" mainstream consumer (X-terminal open...), but you are one of my customers and your opinion counts. Haven't used reddit.com and hence will stay on familiar talk.maemo.org.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peter@Maemo Marketing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Usually it's just a couple as I'm close to a PC anyway. If I'm away somewhere then there's generally around half a dozen open (X terminals, twitter, RSS reader, FBReader, Browser, etc).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
When i'm not using it, i usually close everything, but when i'm using it, i usually have 4 or more windows open. Usually all browser windows, flicking back and forth between different sites.

Other times i have things running in the background, like TV Catchup Recorder, while doing something else like reading Twitter with Tweego (when login did work ) or playing Angry Birds.

The Following User Says Thank You to munkiii For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Rhode Island
I typically only multitask when I need to. Not leaving any program running unless I actually need it to do something at that moment.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gideonvalor For This Useful Post:

Tags
multitasking, research, reserach, survey