Active Topics

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
A gui has been made by D-livil so we are just waiting for it to be released. If you can't wait do the below in terminal.

The gui is finished! Go to this thread instead. Do not do the below.. it is not necessary any longer thanks to D-livils work.

Download (to /home/user/MyDocs/)
hildon-home.launch1.tar.gz (modified by CepiPerez)

Then extract it.
Code:
tar xzvf /home/user/MyDocs/hildon-home.launch1.tar.gz
Move to right dir
Code:
mv /home/user/MyDocs/hildon-home.launch1 /usr/bin/
Mount the extracted hildon-home.launch1 and bind it. This will be undone if reboot.
Code:
sudo gainroot
mount -o bind /usr/bin/hildon-home.launch1 /usr/bin/hildon-home.launch
XX is the size of your icon. I use 42.
Code:
gconftool -s /apps/osso/hildon-home/task-shortcuts-size -t int XX
1 for visble icon background, 0 for hidden icon background.
Code:
gconftool -s /apps/osso/hildon-home/task-shortcuts-back -t int X
XX is the size of you bookmark. I use 100.
Code:
gconftool -s /apps/osso/hildon-home/task-bookmarks-size -t int XX
Restart hildon-home to make the changes visible
Code:
dsmetool -k /usr/bin/hildon-home
dsmetool -t /usr/bin/hildon-home

!! There is a better way doing this now. If you continue reading in the thread you will come to this post by CepiPerez. This will also allow you to change the bookmarks. !!
I have written how it works above...

Do not do the below. It is the old way....

The past week i have been working on a program to resize the program icons. It is pretty basic but works. It is still in a early release state but i have tried it and could not find any big bugs. This is the second program i have made so the code could probably look better.

Everything is done in the shell (terminal). I have not yet learned how to package it to deb. Also, it does not have a real gui. I have zenity helping me with that. To give an illusion of a gui. It works pretty well but is not as good looking as a real gui.

The program will ask you two questions. How big you want the background image and how big you want the foreground image to be. It will then download the custom hildon-home that Matan made and install it. It will ask you if you want to hold it (so it wont get replaced by the old during an upgrade). Lastly it finds which programs you have on the desktop and resize the icons to the values you set in the first step. The last step will take a minute or so.

The change will only affect your current theme and some of the stock icons that are not covered by the theme. If you wish to change the theme it is important to first uninstall to reset all the values. Desktop Shortcut Resizer finds your current icons by the name of your theme. It will not be succesful if you change it and then uninstall.

The size could be set between 0-256 pixels. I have put the default background value to 62 pixels and 42 pixels for the foreground.

The install process:
1. Download the program/script to your n900 (i.e. /home/user/MyDocs/)
Desktop Shortcut Resizer v0.1-beta14
2. Open terminal and:
1. sudo gainroot
2. sh /home/user/MyDocs/desktop-shortcut_0.1beta14.sh -i
3. desktop-shortcut -b
4. desktop-shortcut -L
5. done!

If you want to see all the commands. Just write as root
1. desktop-shortcut

You might want to make a test run first to see if it finds all your program icons.
1. desktop-shortcut -t

I have configured the program to find if you have any missing dependencies and if not install them for you. You will need wget, zenity and imagemagick. It will take a backup on your original icons during the install. In case you decide to uninstall the program later. If so it will reset to your original icons.

I encourage you to also take a normal backup. Which will happen if you do the "desktop-shortcut -b" command.

Please tell me what you think. Is it good? should something be done differently? Did i spell something wrong?

Some pictures below which shows the process.
Attached Images

Make your desktop look awesome - use the AwOken Theme with the AwOken Icon Theme.

Add me on twitter @almehdin
Visit the swedish maemo/meego community forums

Last edited by AlMehdi; 2010-09-26 at 11:01.

The Following 34 Users Say Thank You to AlMehdi For This Useful Post:
Looks wicked, cant wait to get home and test it, is there any chance this app could also be used to resize the bookmark shortcuts too?
also i've set my shortcut backgrounds to invisable except when clicked, will this change that or will it modify them as they are?
Thanks

Matt

Last edited by matts76; 2010-09-11 at 13:54.

Originally Posted by matts76 View Post
Looks wicked, cant wait to get home and test it, is there any chance this app could also be used to resize the bookmark shortcuts too?
also i've set my shortcut backgrounds to invisable except when clicked, will this change that or will it modify them as they are?
Thanks

Matt
No, it will not. It is all based on Matans hildon-home. And to my knowledge he just made it possible to change the application shortcuts. If someone would add this function to the hildon-home it would be pretty easy to implement to the program. Same goes for the contact shortcuts.

It will change the background to the size of your likening.. no matter if it is visible or not. As you can see on my screen dump.. the clickable area is contained to the background image.

Make your desktop look awesome - use the AwOken Theme with the AwOken Icon Theme.

Posts: 254 | Thanked: 95 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ New Delhi, India
When I run the sh /home/user/MyDocs/filename -i command as given in the 2nd step above, xterm gives an output "incompatible theme"... Any workarounds? I have MohammadAG's modified hildon desktop installed. Can that be the reason?

Originally Posted by navsin View Post
When I run the sh /home/user/MyDocs/filename -i command as given in the 2nd step above, xterm gives an output "incompatible theme"... Any workarounds? I have MohammadAG's modified hildon desktop installed. Can that be the reason?
No, you are probably running one of the default themes. They have a different looking ".desktop" file. I will fix this in a later version but have not had time to do it yet.

Edit: By the way.. this will change MohammadAG's hildon-home to Matans.

Last edited by AlMehdi; 2010-09-11 at 15:23.

Posts: 254 | Thanked: 95 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ New Delhi, India
I'm running the Pleegoblue theme, which is a part of the Black Plastic theme package of D-livil.

The Following User Says Thank You to navsin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by navsin View Post
I'm running the Pleegoblue theme, which is a part of the Black Plastic theme package of D-livil.
I will check it up.. it is possible to edit the script on row 26-29 and comment that section out. I am not sure what that would do. It might not find all the icons.

So if you want to try it.. do a "desktop-shortcut -t" to test what it finds. A test will not change anything.

Looks like Black Plastic uses the original icon-theme. Should not be too difficult.. coming with a new version shortly.

I have now updated to beta6. It should work with the Black Plastic and default themes. Download the new script and try.. i did and it worked as expected.

Last edited by AlMehdi; 2010-09-11 at 19:04.

The Following User Says Thank You to AlMehdi For This Useful Post:
New update to beta7. I had forgot to make sure the extras-devel repo was active.