Active Topics

Hi, I found that in my N900 /lib/firmware directory there are several bin files which are the firmwares for BT&WLAN (bcmfw.bin) and Camera (et8ek8-002.bin), etc.

But in my scratchbox, I downloaded the maemo source code by command below.

apt-get source kernel

And in the source code, I cannot find the bin files. So my question is when building the maemo kernel image, where do the bin files come from?

Someone told me that now we cannot build the maemo kernel image (zImage) due to the whole source code isn't released to users anymore, is it true? Can someone give me the link how to build a zImage of maemo for N900?

Thanks!

Probably not the entire answer but a good starting point about the binary packages is the wiki page.

The Following User Says Thank You to depu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
Where does the N900 firmware come from?
From the cabbage patch - or the stalk.

: )

Seriously though - when you're installing Maemo stuff in scratchbox, there is a unique link that you get for proprietary binary packages, the one you stick in /etc/apt/sources.list - that's where they come from (Nokia servers)

The entire source code has never been available unfortunately, but you can build the kernel, the closed parts are just modules.

Last edited by dchky; 2010-09-12 at 10:05.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dchky For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by depu View Post
Probably not the entire answer but a good starting point about the binary packages is the wiki page.
Thank you! I saw that page earlier, but I got something new from it again.

Originally Posted by dchky View Post

Seriously though - when you're installing Maemo stuff in scratchbox, there is a unique link that you get for proprietary binary packages, the one you stick in /etc/apt/sources.list - that's where they come from (Nokia servers)

The entire source code has never been available unfortunately, but you can build the kernel, the closed parts are just modules.
Thank you very much!
That's what I really want to know.

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Liberty, SC
I think elves in the base of a tree in a magical forest make it one line of code at a time. I think as a side line they make cookies too!

Originally Posted by dchky View Post

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Originally Posted by justforfun View Post
And in the source code, I cannot find the bin files. So my question is when building the maemo kernel image, where do the bin files come from?
That stuff is not needed for kernel. It is microprograms inside big chips (radio, WiFi etc) but not for ARM which runs Linux kernel.

It is loaded in chips once during upgrade or may be once after each kernel boot directly into chips.

The Following User Says Thank You to egoshin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by egoshin View Post
That stuff is not needed for kernel. It is microprograms inside big chips (radio, WiFi etc) but not for ARM which runs Linux kernel.
Actually, some of those chips may be ARM

Firmware or 'binary blobs' is usually closed-source. My Ubuntu laptop has tons of them in /lib/firmware which apparently are freely distributable; this isn't always the case (sometimes for legal/government reasons). They are required to get functionality out of hardware, not for running Scratchbox.

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Thanks you for further clarification! I have better understanding of them now.