Posts: 417 | Thanked: 200 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
Hi. These days I'm a bit confused cos of all those unofficial hildon-desktop improvements...

Maybe one of you Gurus could clear up which hildon-desktop is the one including most/best/newest/advanced features....

I found those:

- First one from MohammadAG
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=790504&postcount=1
Many (including me) were particularly annoyed with the introduction of the PR1.2 menu, which had slower (much slower) kinetic scrolling.

Here's a modified hildon-desktop package which has this reversed, and includes all fixes post PR1.2 (call UI glitching etc...).

Download link: http://mohammadag.xceleo.org/public/...+0m5_armel.deb
It will not install via the application manager

Package should only be installed on PR1.2, it will not conflict with future updates (if any).
- Second one from tomast:
http://www.forums.internettablettalk...9&postcount=70
I have built and installed latest hildon-desktop from gitorious, and it actually seems to fix this.

If anyone wants to try, the deb can be found here (completely on your own risk, of course):
http://81.216.215.120/maemo/hildon-d...+0m5_armel.deb
UPDATE: This is an updated link with the version set to 2.2.138-1+0m5 (the same as in PR1.2). The real version still is 2.2.141-1 (or something like that) as per gitorious earlier today. This should solve the dependency problems introduced by my first attempt.

Caveat: This is the first time ever I build a deb file or compile anything for maemo at all.

EDIT: Note that this will overwrite any custom transitions, so you may want to backup /usr/share/hildon-desktop/transitions.ini . Also, note that this version should support setting of scrolling speed, see http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...127#post798127 (not tested).

If you can't do it from here without further instructions, then you probably shouldn't (and instead wait for a hopefully upcoming "unofficial pre-released updates" repository mentioned somewhere by MohammadAG and others)
- And third: Matan's modified-hildon-desktop_2.1:

In modified-hildon-desktop_2.1 the deceleration rate is controlled by gconf key /apps/osso/hildon-desktop/decel_rate. This is an integer which is the decel rate multiplied by 100. Originally, the rate was 1.1 (corresponding to setting the key to 110). In PR1.1 it was reduced to 0.99, and in PR1.2 to 0.9. in MohammadAG's version it is 0.99, the same as in PR1.1. You can try those settings and others, and see what works for you best.

This key is only read when hildon-desktop starts, so you need to restart hildon-desktop after changing the value for change to take effect. This can be done by rebooting, or by running the command

killall hildon-desktop
It's hard for a newbie like me to find out which is the one I should go with... My first choice would be the one with the most recent fixes from the gitorius + better/faster (kinetic)-scrolling.

Thanks for making this clear...

Last edited by NightShift79; 2010-09-12 at 05:11.

The Following User Says Thank You to NightShift79 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 395 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ India
I also want to know.I've installed it from here http://www.forums.internettablettalk...9&postcount=70

Web Advices
Tablet Phone X
Blogging Tips
Know IP Address

The Following User Says Thank You to plaban For This Useful Post:
Best depends on your needs. Best for me has to be matan's as it allows me to have up to 9 desktops. Most will be uninterested in more than 4 desktops and so faster kintetic scrolling, for example, will be the priority.

Matans does a lot more than that - theres extra dbus hooks, keyboard shortcuts etc including the "alt-tab" behaviour which I cant live without now....

Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Yea, indeed, each to their own. Tomast's version fixes a nasty power draining bug that manifested using certain apps (eg Catorise), so if that's the case for you, there really is no choice....

Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
Best depends on your needs. Best for me has to be matan's as it allows me to have up to 9 desktops. Most will be uninterested in more than 4 desktops and so faster kintetic scrolling, for example, will be the priority.
Gorgeous 3d ! I'm looking for the best hildon desktop to put it in my script

By the way ... tha matan hildon improve even the scrolling
You have only to use a small x-terminal command .

The Following User Says Thank You to Dany-69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
My new version (not yet posted here) has the scrolling and the catorize bug fixed, it also has the value of deceleration rate controlled in /usr/share/hildon-desktop/transitions.ini, so yeah, you'll get all the fixes in one package.
Will post that tonight when I'm back home.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to MohammadAG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 417 | Thanked: 200 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
Thx MohammadAG. That's what I wanted to hear :P

So your new version will be equal to the one tomast posted?
Or do you have new/special features added?

- If I understand that hildon-desktop thing properly, then you all use the master.tar.gz from the gitorius and just compile it? Or isn't the gitorious source not complete and you add even more fixes and features?

I only see "real" extra features in matans version... (tons of extra gconf settings etc...)

that just makes me dizzy...

Posts: 561 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Spain
Originally Posted by MohammadAG View Post
My new version (not yet posted here) has the scrolling and the catorize bug fixed, it also has the value of deceleration rate controlled in /usr/share/hildon-desktop/transitions.ini, so yeah, you'll get all the fixes in one package.
Will post that tonight when I'm back home.
Include management of desktop shortcuts as added by Matan?

It would be a perfect desktop.

Posts: 129 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by phedders View Post
Matans does a lot more ... keyboard shortcuts etc...
Is there a list somewhere with a somewhat more extensive list and instructions on whats what...?

Originally Posted by Dany-69 View Post
By the way ... tha matan hildon improve even the scrolling
You have only to use a small x-terminal command.
May I ask, where can I learn more about this command?

Tags
hildon-desktop