Active Topics

Notices

Once again it happened. I went to use my N900 just to notice the battery has went dead without me knowing. I'd like to see an application that would sound an alarm when the battery level goes critical. The alarm should go on for a while unless you confirm that you are aware of the problem by pressing some "ok" button for instance. It should be selectable to work even when device is set to silent mode. Or is there already some app available that would do this for me?

Posts: 245 | Thanked: 233 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Ljubljana, Slovenia
I don't have anything special installed but my N900 alert me by sound and popup when battery hit critical level.

You must enable System Sounds to get the battery warning. The thing is that you cannot select just the battery warning, it's the whole thing or nothing. I never liked my gadgets beeping at every action so I usually disable the system sounds, but always thought that the low battery warning should fire no matter what (just like any other Nokia phone).

Maybe we should open a ticket or something?

Last edited by Nagaroth; 2010-09-14 at 10:55.

maybe someone could make a script for the sound to pop up when battery charge hits 5% or something
im sure its possible...i just dont know how to do it

One think with the battery warning is that if you have a BT headset hanging around your neck, the beep goes to the headset. OK if you have the earbuds in the ears, but many times you may decide to have the earbuds in the ears just during phone calls.

Another thing with the battery warning is that it starts to warn first when the batteries are very depleted. I have had phone calls where the phone died within three minutes of the first warning.

The battery warning signal really should have special handling in the phone, allowing me to know about the problem even without the earbuds in the ears. And a good choice how to know about the problem while I'm in a meeting - the availability of a phone may actually be several times more important than the meeting and motivate a short break to get a charger.

Thanks for all the responses. I had turned off the system sounds, can't remember why though. I turned it back on so I guess I'll find out the reason at some point. =)

But by reading your messages it seems there's still a need for some fix / application to add more functionality to the battery alarm... I'm not a programmer so all I can do is say pretty please to someone who knows how to do something about this problem. =)

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
replace all system sounds with blank *.wavs except the battery notification??????

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to F2thaK For This Useful Post:
With the original BL-5J battery my N900 starts doing the low battery warning sound when there's a few hours of standby remaining. Third party batteries usually lie about their capacity, and the battery meter goes from 40% to 0% in one big jump and then the low battery alarm sounds and 10 seconds later it shuts down...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shadowjk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 356 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
What I'd really like is the ability to tell the battery warning sound something along the lines of, 'I'm on it!'.

What I find tends to happen in my case is that the battery will start running down when there's nothing I can really do about it, so I'm subjected to the loud 'ping' over and over again.... I appreciate the reminder, but it would be great to be able to dismiss it after the first ping or two.

the problem with the reminder is it consumes battery itself and only hastens shutdown.

so it would be great if there were some way to say "yes yes, i'll get it charged asap so please go into power saving mode until i get you some juice"