Posts: 75 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Finland
With N900 some of the main problems is the battery consumption, and mainly because some apps/features use lots of battery. (3G connection, Bluetooth, GPS and stuff)

So i came up with an idea, if you could controll apps with proximity sensor, so if you have like... lets say 3G connection enabled and put your n900 to the pocket, it will drop it to GSM/ switch off the internet connection because the proxy is "blocked", also the same thing with other features that use lots of battery and easily drain the battery if you accidentally leave them on when you dont need them.

That about what i was thinking.

Posts: 156 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Los Angeles, CA
would that interrupt your connection if you surfing, watching a video, or downloading, and you accidentally cover the proximity sensor with your thumb?

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Maybe It should go offline only if prox.sensor has been covered for last 10 seconds.

Posts: 75 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Finland
Yes the timer should be least 10 sec, no instant shutdown offcource.

But the basic idea sounds good least for me. Just need someone skilled to develop.

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
For me it would be better to do this when i close the screen. It should be possible through the program dbus-script-settings.. but i have not had time to look more in to it. Maybe someone els have?

Make your desktop look awesome - use the AwOken Theme with the AwOken Icon Theme.

Add me on twitter @almehdin
Visit the swedish maemo/meego community forums

And when you make a call you don't cover the proximity-sensor???
I fear when sombody wants to phone you while you are surfing the net. The call is gone when you put the N900 to your ear, because the phone switches to GSM after 10 sec....