I have just lost faith in MeeGo, I don't think we'll be seeing any MeeGo in those major (better/cheaper) competitors (eg Samsung).

So MeeGo (please change project name) would be NOT making a widespread access like Android did/does, and the developer-base would be quite small compared to Android, thus so would its library of Apps.

I know Android runs on the Dalvic (Java) engine off a customized (or dumbbed down) linux kernel, but most of its components are readily available in the AOSP release, its open.

Would it be possible for MeeGo to access the Dalvik engine, and actually play Android games (even if its the one's without NDK) off the bat?

I think if that was achieved, MeeGo would roll out with alot of Apps handy (like what WP7 is attempting), and developers could still aim for the Dalvik-VM, knowing they're Apps would be supported on two fronts.

Such a strategy like that won't scare away the phone giants or carriers, so that they may actually start adopting MeeGo. MeeGo would harness some of the Android advantages but strongly recommend Qt, so what happens is that developers make this slow transition into Qt and the actual MeeGo library increases.

Now, the usual "porters", will look at Ubuntu/Red Hat programs and begin porting those to the MeeGo ... what we have now is something compelling. This might be the only way MeeGo could step-up to Android's level, which means FINALLY killer-hardware could be matched to killer-software, and we have a new revolution in the portable electronics market (look out iPad!).

What do you guys think:
possible?
legal?
not likely to succeed?
great idea?

PS/ Its just that on paper MeeGo is what I want, a new OS: a fresh start, designed for the lower-end devices but actually is a full-blown desktop OS optimized ... and it comes with new features such a Multi-touch based and Qt (fastest and most cross-compatible software environment), but I also want the philosophy of MeeGo to take over the market like wildfire (like Android) so customers need only to worry about the hardware they're purchsing, its costs and the carrier support.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
I thought I'd seen at least a couple of tablets that tout being MeeGo based but able to run Android apps?

Posts: 117 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ San Diego
It would be a stretch for Meego to run Android games... it wouldn't be that hard to port to Meego in theory, but in reality it isn't easy any way you cut it.

Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
I have just lost faith in MeeGo
Reasons?

I don't think we'll be seeing any MeeGo in those major (better/cheaper) competitors (eg Samsung).
What makes you say that? Samsung in particular are well known for making devices with their own operating systems as well as everything else they can licence (Windows, Symbian, Android).

@Ima
Oh its just that ... phone carriers, they pretty much have more power over which phones are advertised and made available to the public. And these carriers are now loving Android due to its versatility to lock out certain functions or place inside their own ads (revenue?).

So while the iPhone has the public mindshare (its not going anywhere), Android has the carriers mindshare. The only reason Symbian "smartphones" are available via carriers is that the carriers always play it safe and don't go ALL-IN with a particular phone brand/type ... they want to maximize their revenue.

So we've got 3 OS's that will be around in the near future. What of the others?
Well Blackberry is very popular in the US, but not else where. In most other countries (Europe/Australia), its the business corporates' phone of choice, so even that has some mindshare and will be around in the future.

Now we have Windows Phone 7. They are the under-dog as it seems. But from what's available, that is certainly going to take some users from the iPhone camp and some from the Android camp. Microsoft is putting a big, I mean BIG, push behind it ... so that will get some market and probably begin to grow at the end of 2011.

So now we have virtually 0 market left. Any other alternatives will have to steal away from the current offerings, and that won't be WP7's camp since they're new and expected to grow.
So how the hell is MeeGo going to make it by stealing people from using the iPhone (quite difficult I believe), and how could it convince the control-freak carriers from Android (near impossible I believe), and how could it convince the security-freak corporate users from Blackberry (trust me its impossible). So its going to be able to make very few high-end offerings on any carrier and it must rely on taking the market from Symbian ... which WP7 will also attempt.

So there's a glimpse of hope, right?
Wrong, don't forget the "best mobile OS" and another Giant Company looking for a comeback. Yes, I'm referring to HPalm.

If Nokia truly creates an outstanding notebook OS, that is well functional for tablets and also runs "well-enough" for high-end smartphones ... and mates this on killer killer hardware ... and delivers this in a truly iPhone killer ... and offers this all for free/profitless just to get carrier support (more revenue for them)... and the final package bedazzles users and strikes major interest ... ALL IN THE USA, then MeeGo will become attractive and begin its slow domination.

And this pattern would mean a quick domination in Europe/other countries (yes its sad but true, carriers overseas choose which phones to support depending upon its success in the USA), which would mean more MeeGo devices, more developers, more Apps ... and which would mean more MeeGo offerings in the Nth America.

(yes I read and analyse way too much for my own health)
Anyone disagree with what I said/parts of what I said (and why) ??