Posts: 298 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Norway
A looong time ago i was chatting about 3D. Right now, i am kinda stuck. I have the choice of either PyQt and write a graphics engine from scratch, or start learning how to use Xlib_wrapper.
Thing about Xlib is that it supports GLES2, but i dont know in how much extent it does. Is it full or only a partly port?
Thing about PyQt is that it seems easy, but i cant find a real graphics-biased tutorial. I cant find anything about 3D.
In addition i've been considering to try use PyOgre and maybe modify it to use QtOpenGL in PyQt.

So, any advice for a lost coder?

advice, no. but i wish you good luck

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
There are clutter bindings for Python, that use OpenGL ES, but that is probably 2D only.

Im not really going for 2D, i just dont like making sprites. (Its harder then making a 3D model[No texture], actually.)

Pygame is probably the best way to get started if you want python.
or you could look at SIO Interactive which hoops frenzy was written in for C++
http://sio2interactive.com/SIO2_iPad...echnology.html

Last edited by mikec; 2010-09-21 at 18:58.

SIO-engine? No way...
I am looking to make a RPG-like game where there is a free camera moving around.
Besides, i'd prefer not to use C++, its too hard to debug as i dont have a working setup of Qt Creator.

As for PyGame... what does it have to offer?
AFAIK, the engine i make will be biased mostly towards graphics and collision-detection between models along with physics.
The amount of code written for plainly game that could be a console will be minimal. It will only be used for tracking progress and items.

so you want to make a game engine too? ogre is just a graphics engine, you will need to complement it with several engines to make a game

Posts: 102 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Wellingborough, UK
make it a cool game.

clasificado, i know that. I already made a roadmap for the engine (classified material). I got priorities and such. for components. F. ex. i have audio as last priority... Physics and 3D go before it.
But what i noticed is that i'll mostly have to use collision detection between invisible polygons and similar most of the time, so thats why i look for a 3D engine right now. (The engine itself, the core, is a simple task to make. All logics.)

RDK, i cant guarantee anything atm.

i see.
Well, i dont think that we have a stable python 3d environment set.

Have you tried with the desktop tools yet?

i mean, using Python-Ogre first, then adding something like Bullet for phisics. both are know to work well using OgreBullet plugin

You know, to get something like
- First, the desktop c++ project working
- From there, your python port
- and THEN, everything ported to n900 arm

i dont know if every piece is fully ported to directly start programming there yet