So there are rumours of Facebook making a phone - and denials - and rumours again (from Bloomberg) of the Facebook phone from INQ.

And these initial rumours suggest Facebook will use a stripped down Android for the phone with tight Facebook integration.

Was wondering - why isn't Nokia making a beeline to Facebook to try and sell Maemo/Meego as the new platform for Feceboo to build on. Come on pay Facebook money and make them an attractive proposition. This would be the best way to get Meego out to the masses.

Note : I know, I know - many here are averse to anything social and in particular to Facebook and see no value to it - but that is not the point. The point is facebook has the most users on it (larger than Google now) - and that's a large number of eyes and potential customers for Meego if Meego were to drive this rumoured Facebook phone.

Last edited by nilchak; 2010-09-27 at 21:22.

The Following User Says Thank You to nilchak For This Useful Post:
On a related point just saw this video showing social networks integration on E7 (and presumably all symbian 3 devices). Looks pretty neat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsnjDzDeNjQ

I agree some really serious facebook integration into meego would have been a really killer feature (just like most blackberrys being sold today is because of the blackberry messanger).

New Nokia is not very famous for being far sighted though so no suprise that they hardly come up with these killer features that really boost sales. They seem to focus more on including tons of basic features over and above all other devices. Don't see why they can't have the loads of basic features as well as one or two killer features.

Last edited by etuoyo; 2010-09-27 at 19:35.

Hahaha, at first I thought this was a a bit of a joke, but after a quick google search I found this http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...k-mobile-phone

I will admit that the link to the page above serves no other reason other than to waste server space, but it does leave me with a sense of fear at the thought of a "social media client" base phone... I had the unfortunate experience of owning a Sidekick slide a few years ago and that thing still gives me the shudders today

Anyway, I can't see what Facebook can bring to the table these days tbh. Mobile phones are coming along in leaps and bounds, especially as more phones are now capable of viewing FB in full with flash?

Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
Anyway, I can't see what Facebook can bring to the table these days tbh. Mobile phones are coming along in leaps and bounds, especially as more phones are now capable of viewing FB in full with flash?
I think you did not get the point of a Facebook phone (I feared many will not - not that I get it totally either).

A facebook phone which only allows you to view facebook on it IS pointless - nearly all phones these days do that. So that is not the selling point of course.

Its the integration with all other aspects of your normal life (on a cell phone) that is the clincher.

Some scenarious I can think of
1) Phone book integration - so your phone's normal phone book will show and can edit Facebook/non-facebook contacts and details and online presence status.

2) Any event on Facebook by your friends will show on the phone calendar - and vice-versa.

3) A check-in via Facebook will show on the map - so you can see which friend is around you for a possible meetup (permissions will apply naturally).

4) Any other phone application can leverage the Facebook "Like" feature (which is web only at this time) - thus becoming a huge point of revenue for facebook with commercial vendors.

5) And all other kinds of things we dont know about - but Facebook must be mulling to even think about a dedicated phone.

Of copurse you must realize one thing - there must be some features which Facebook must have thought about to leverage as a selling point. It MUST benefit Facebook - more than it benefits the consume - just as Android benefits Google in getting more people on Google search - thus bringing revenue.

When the N97 was first revealed, it was nicknamed "the facebook phone" by the media because of the home widgets...

If only Nokia had specc'd and polished/integrated the software properly... sigh another wasted opportunity...

The Following User Says Thank You to bugelrex For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
sigh another wasted opportunity...
Seems to be Nokia's moto

I don't get it, Nokia should pay fB, for them to use MeeGo? The majority of what has been listed by Nilchak was visible in the leaked MeeGo video...

Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
I think you did not get the point of a Facebook phone (I feared many will not - not that I get it totally either).

A facebook phone which only allows you to view facebook on it IS pointless - nearly all phones these days do that. So that is not the selling point of course.

Its the integration with all other aspects of your normal life (on a cell phone) that is the clincher.

Some scenarious I can think of
1) Phone book integration - so your phone's normal phone book will show and can edit Facebook/non-facebook contacts and details and online presence status.

2) Any event on Facebook by your friends will show on the phone calendar - and vice-versa.

3) A check-in via Facebook will show on the map - so you can see which friend is around you for a possible meetup (permissions will apply naturally).

4) Any other phone application can leverage the Facebook "Like" feature (which is web only at this time) - thus becoming a huge point of revenue for facebook with commercial vendors.

5) And all other kinds of things we dont know about - but Facebook must be mulling to even think about a dedicated phone.

Of copurse you must realize one thing - there must be some features which Facebook must have thought about to leverage as a selling point. It MUST benefit Facebook - more than it benefits the consume - just as Android benefits Google in getting more people on Google search - thus bringing revenue.
I can't imagine anyone who would have a choice between an Android phone, an iPhone, or even Windows Mobile 7 would get a phone that's primary feature is Facebook. But then again I'm not into Facebook so maybe it has appeal for someone who really uses Facebook.

But I personally think X phone with Facebook app/Facebook web would still do more than a Facebook phone that tries to start a new market for itself.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by Odd_gunnic View Post
I don't get it, Nokia should pay fB, for them to use MeeGo? The majority of what has been listed by Nilchak was visible in the leaked MeeGo video...
All the more reason for Nokia to have tried to sell Meego to FB if they are indeed planning such a phone.

Whether they pay or cajole or convince them by the Meego advanced plugin architectural points - it would have won a big no of users - cause I am sure with the number of total facebook users a small fraction still translates to a lot of sales and more so exposure.

Come on - how many people outside this community know of Maemo's plugin integration with VOIP protocols like skype and with contacts app which IMHO is Maemo's killer feature.

Fair points...however I dont think Nokia would want to release their new generation flagship via association with a big conglomerate such as facebook. If the user experience is outstanding, facebook takes much of the credit. I think Nokia wants to reclaim some lost mindshare.

So I would rather see one of those 'strategic partnerships' announcements at the meego conference BUT no co-branding