Active Topics

Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
Hi,

I have a problem with MfE on my N900. When I'm at work, on wifi, the hostname for my mail server resolves to a private IP address. When I leave the building and am on 3G, MfE fails to sync because it is still using the private IP address, rather than the public IP which it would get if it cleared the cached address did a new DNS lookup. If I reboot it will then perform a new lookup and get the public IP address.

Does someone know of a way to make N900 forget all previous DNS lookups automatically upon connection change?

Otherwise I will test if the public IP is accessible from inside the corporate network and maybe just add it into my hosts file...

Thanks

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
The N900 is using dnsmasq for the local caching. The manual page for that would suggest that adding "clear-on-reload" to the /etc/dnsmasq.conf file will force it to flush the cache whenever the DNS servers change (the manual page only mentions /etc/resolv.conf though, so it's not clear whether that setting also applies when you're using alternative config files).

I'd suggest adding that line and rebooting (to force dnsmasq to reread the config file), then trying it out.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
Thanks for the tip, I will look into it and see how it goes!