For some reason the time/date on my n900 doesn't automatically update when going to different countries.

im on vodafone and 'update automatically' is ticked. what gives?

G,

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
It depends on the network mostly. Some don't provide NITZ (network interface time zone), some do. What the N900 does with that is a bit of a mystery though : )

hmm, on my nokia e71 i didn't have any issues with network time updates. Suspect something dodgy with the n900.

Posts: 278 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Norwich, UK
This has never worked properly, for me at least. O2 in the UK provide a perfectly good network time broadcast that works on every other phone supporting it, but my N900 has never stuck to this.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
actually, it doesn't work at all. my n900's time is about 10min off within only a few days - a second nokia phone in the same network shows the exact time. always.

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
actually, it doesn't work at all. my n900's time is about 10min off within only a few days - a second nokia phone in the same network shows the exact time. always.
It does work for me in the US on Cingular^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^HSBC^H^H^Hatt, oh, whatever they call themselves this week.

Has a bug been filed for this? It must be fixable, since it can work, and there are networks where it doesn't work, but other Nokia phones do. So far, all my searching only turns up bugs complaining about GPS not setting the time or wanting NTP built in.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
I have to admit that I dodn't file a bug report for this... actually, it's been quite a while since I tried to get things fixed via bugzilla. I just don't think it makes sense any longer for Maemo 5, does it?

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
I have to admit that I dodn't file a bug report for this... actually, it's been quite a while since I tried to get things fixed via bugzilla. I just don't think it makes sense any longer for Maemo 5, does it?
Since it was too late last November for so many (basic functionality) bugs, there probably isn't much sense. But if this bug is still in Harmattan, maybe it is not quite too late yet to help people buying the device for that.

I asked about the bug report because I wondered how widespread the problem is and why it doesn't get discussed much here.

I was mainly concerned that what you wrote might be misinterpreted to mean that it does not work at all for anybody. That is not true. It does work for some, maybe most.

I noticed it doesn't work on mine shortly after buying it.

However, once ntpd was stable and available, I've not really cared.

I just use NTP, which is far more reliable than network time anyway.

it works for me. it worked when i was roaming too. it is network dependent.