Active Topics

Posts: 65 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Finland@Turku
First off, this post is meant to be constructive.

I have owned a lot of Nokia GSM phones since 1994. Two GSM phones has been other brands, Samsung and Motorola but only for a few weeks because I simply didn't like them. I don't remember the models but it was a long time ago.

Well I have been using my N900 since it's launch and it has been a good phone. Been using it like a computer almost.
My N97 before that was fun for a few weeks because of the touch screen but other than that the phone was downright bad. Sluggish and crappy from start to end. (and I paid 724 euros for that )

I was demonstrated a HTC Desire and spent the weekend reading on about Android and what functions there are. In Android I found everything I need, calendar/contacts synchronisation, email, maps, Flash 10.1 and more. I've been so into Nokia I've never even considered anything else up until recently. Just proved to myself how important a familiar brand can be.

Looking back at my N97 and N900 it now feels like I paid for these phones to be some kind of beta hardware tester. N900 has been on the market for a long time considering the lifecycle of today's hardware and still not full support with Nokia's own applications.
Reading reviews of the N8 there are hints of slow UI reponse. History repeating itself. Reading some Nokia bloggers it seems they are pushing it as it was a high-end DSLR solution... (?) Totally shifting focus from the functions that really makes a smart-phone.

I really hope Meego will be a success story and that it will help Nokia advance and once again be the smarter choice for demanding users.

The Following User Says Thank You to jerra For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
good for you not like anyone cares

Last edited by NvyUs; 2010-10-11 at 07:24.

Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
Right on the money considering Nokias strategies from the last years.

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on May 2010 @ TMO
Enjoy your stay in Spydroid land.

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
I like the flexibility of the n900. You can pretty much install anything you like.
E.g. I use Python and Django is installed on the n900 too. There is also Easy Debian - I bought a combined bluetooth keyboard and trackpad and now for me the n900 is a "proper" portable computer.

Quite frankly, I don't care who makes a device like this. If Nokia produce something similar again then I may upgrade. If Intel or Microsoft (unlikely) produce something like the n900 then I will quite happily jump ship.

I don't care who manufacturers my "phone" as long as it can meet my requirements of the n900.

In fact I would go back to two separate devices if I got something like this: Pandora

I like Android but I am paranoid about my privacy and also Linux software is difficult to port over (no glib).

And Flash can kiss my hairy a*se!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
This site is not nokia why should we bothered
you make 1 post a week over last 12 months on average and then post this crap
why should we care we have read many like it.
Your opening line is "this is constructive" when you know full well it will turn into the other 100 like it.
I see nothing constructive about you post at all.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NvyUs For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by johnel View Post
I like the flexibility of the n900. You can pretty much install anything you like.
Yes although I am not that into Linux with all the various things people seems to install. I understand that the real techies really appreciate what you can install into it.
I've kept myself to Extras-testing at the lowest. No devel.

In fact I would go back to two separate devices if I got something like this: Pandora
That sure looks fun. Gonna have to read more about it.

I like Android but I am paranoid about my privacy and also Linux software is difficult to port over (no glib).
That I will have to examine a bit more.

And Flash can kiss my hairy a*se!
Yes well *ss-kissing or not its out there en-masse and there are no getting around it. It has started getting to me, "Please download the latest version...." messages when browsing. Really annoying.

I see nothing constructive about you post at all.
Your (constructive) opinion has been duly noted skipper.

I would say without hesitation that Maemo and Nokia are quite closely related.

The Following User Says Thank You to jerra For This Useful Post:
Oh, but I do care.

Originally Posted by jerra View Post
Your (constructive) opinion has been duly noted skipper.

I would say without hesitation that Maemo and Nokia are quite closely related.
your correct but this site is no longer controlled by NOKIA and talk.maemo.org is not Nokia Maemo
try going to Nokia support discussion forum they have their official Maemo forum there

Last edited by NvyUs; 2010-10-11 at 08:36.

Tags
bestthreadever, douchebaggery, grass-greener, please let, this thread die