Posts: 80 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Planet Earth, sometimes
Is there an easy way to lock the desktop from edits?

I keep moving or deleting the widgets when either on the phone or by accident when it's in my pocket.

Would be good if the edit could be disabled somehow, especially teh one where if you click and hold on the desktop, it goes into edit mode. This seems to be the one which most often activates by accident.

Cheers,
Menno

Posts: 308 | Thanked: 729 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Athens, Greece
How are you doing that? you need to tap on the little cog icon in order to move or delete shortcuts and widgets.

Originally Posted by zifis View Post
How are you doing that? you need to tap on the little cog icon in order to move or delete shortcuts and widgets.
No you don't, a long press on the desktop will cause it to go into edit mode.

I agree very annoying as I have done this several times and ended up with deleted widgets and widgets moved to different screens - and there is no viable reason for a long press to enter edit mode. IMO

Posts: 80 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Planet Earth, sometimes
If you tap and keep down the background of the desktop it goes into edit mode.

I've just read about a modified hildon desktop which has a gconf setting (/apps/osso/hildon-desktop/key-actions/disable_edit) to disable the desktop edit.

http://my.arava.co.il/~matan/repo/Mo...n_Desktop.html

So I'll give that a try when I get a chance.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to menno For This Useful Post:
Posts: 308 | Thanked: 729 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Athens, Greece
...but you do lock screen when you put it in your pocket don't you? and still you find that things are shifted and/or deleted?

Originally Posted by zifis View Post
...but you do lock screen when you put it in your pocket don't you? and still you find that things are shifted and/or deleted?
Occasionally you forget, easily done if the screen has switched off.

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
???... but the screen does lock after a timeout unless the keyboard is open

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
???... but the screen does lock after a timeout unless the keyboard is open
Ah yes, but I have Lock screen automaticly switched off. If the phone keeps locking itself all the time when you are using it it becomes a real bind.

Posts: 908 | Thanked: 501 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ West Sussex, England
Originally Posted by JonWW View Post
Ah yes, but I have Lock screen automaticly switched off. If the phone keeps locking itself all the time when you are using it it becomes a real bind.
No offence, but you're at fault then. You have the option to autolock and that isn't good enough (because swiping that switch is so much effort...) and not autolocking isn't good enough but the screen times out. There's a simple solution, and it's what i do myself: when you pick the phone up to put in your pocket, hit the power button or tap the screen. That will let you know if it's locked or unlocked.

but I have Lock screen automaticly switched off
i dont wanna go off topic but how do you do that ? from simple bright status applet ?