Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 722 | Thanked: 1,223 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ USA
GeePS

I just uploaded to extras-devel geeps. It is a front-end for google maps and uses the internal gps for your position.

It is very limited as it is but quite useful. More than once I have relied on it to get directions and arrive at my destination.

I don't have any intention to compete with all the other great location/gps packages but couldn't resist creating my own.

The most important piece missing, for me, is finding an address for a place (something like: take me to the nearest McDonalds?)... Google Places API is the perfect answer for this - unfortunately it is not an open api yet. If you know of any other api that could do the trick let me know! If you know how to get me a google maps key even better EDIT: I still don't have a google places api key but implemented the google local search for now.

Another idea for a next release is to allow other applications to request directions for a given address (e.g. from MyContacts get directions to visit grandma, from movie schedule get directions to the selected movie theather, ...). I will implement it as a DBUS interface and any developer will be able to make use of it.

Keyboard Shortcuts:
  • ENTER: show your current location (if GPS is enabled)
  • F: full screen
  • 1-9: zoom
  • left, right, up,down arrows: pan map
  • shift + left arrow: center on previous step on current route
  • shift + right arrow: center on next step on current route
  • shift + up/down arrow: loop trough different routes (if alternative routes was selected on directions)

Some issues/comments/tricks:
  • access to the internet is required (make sure to establish the connection before you start geeps) It will automatically popup the "connection" dialog (note: it will not work w/o internet connection so you can't just dismiss the connect window)
  • you need to enable the GPS on the application menu ("position updates")
  • in order to get directions from a location, other than your current location, you first need to deactivate the "position updates"
  • use the volume buttons to control zoom

Some other ideas:
  • allow to drag mapDone!
  • auto rotate the map (like any gps)
  • record POI
  • track path
  • calculate speed
  • mixed view (map+directions)
  • detect current step automatically

My maemo work:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Harmattan:
GeePS - native UI around google maps - GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps".
Shutdown - shutdown and reboot with one click - QuickCall - one click call, skypeout and google voice integration using dial tones.
WakeOnLan - wake computers on your local network.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Maemo/N900:
GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps". - MobWebMail: browser optimized to access multiple gmail accounts
MyContacts: 75 Contacts on your desktop, ring tones per group and more - GeePS: native front-end for google maps
Macuco2 : web browser to access web sites optimized for the iphone - WakeOnLan: wake up computers on your local network
dbBrowser: Simple application to browse sqlite databases

Last edited by fcrochik; 2010-10-28 at 17:10.

The Following 145 Users Say Thank You to fcrochik For This Useful Post:
alextootchie, AlMehdi, AndiThebest, andraeseus1, arjunkumar87, arora.rohan, bennypr0fane, Berserk, Bingley Joe, BLC, Bobbe, br1zer, Bratag, bunanson, Buzrael, casper27, ceevee, clasificado, cmantito, corduroysack, craftyguy, Crashdamage, crazy_agent, Cue, D4rKlar, dana.s, danielpublic, Dany-69, daperl, DaSilva, datjomp, dhanurdhar, Digicom, dtergens, dwaradzyn, edgar2, egoshin, fatalsaint, funkmunk, gabby131, giannoug, gordonshowers, gs1, gsever, hawaii, HellFlyer, Helmuth, Hterag, HtheB, imo, impeham, ivgalvez, j.s, jaimex2, jcharpak, jedi, jhwan, Joseph9560, jsbigs, kamiwey, kevloral, khuong, klinglerware, kmare, leetut, lemmyslender, lostinmirkwood, lq_sunshine, m4dm3n, Maj3stic, makel, maluka, manvik60, Marklar, marxian, mece, mikec, mikki-kun, mivoligo, MOC, moepda, MohammadAG, Morphic, mosiomm, Mr.bot, mtran66, MyNokiaN900, M_99, N900L, nashith, nicholes, nikolajhendel, noobmonkey, optimaxxx, OVK, pantera1989, pelago, phapsubongtoi, PhonoN900, pillar, pincy, Quasar, rabarkar, Raimu, rariss, Rauha, raven, rawutt, reinob, RFS-81, rhaig, Rob1n, rotoflex, saadgadit, sdesai, sdixit, sdstrowes, shazosbourne, skalogre, smoothc, Sphinx780, stlpaul, stochashtic, Stonik, Straycat, sula, taike_hk, thecubed, ThomasAH, udaychaitanya16, Umlungu, v13, vdx29, windows7, xeres, xomm, xtian, xur17, yamakasi, Yorky, ysss, zerone, zetagi
Some screenshots:

My maemo work:
For Harmattan:
GeePS - native UI around google maps - GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps".
Shutdown - shutdown and reboot with one click - QuickCall - one click call, skypeout and google voice integration using dial tones.
For Maemo/N900:
GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps". - MobWebMail: browser optimized to access multiple gmail accounts
MyContacts: 75 Contacts on your desktop, ring tones per group and more - GeePS: native front-end for google maps
Macuco2 : web browser to access web sites optimized for the iphone - WakeOnLan: wake up computers on your local network

The Following 59 Users Say Thank You to fcrochik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Nice! D'loading now...
Is the traffic layer in the future?

BTW, I pretty much drove that route you plotted, today out of New Castle, DE.

SLN member # 009

I am constantly surprised about the number of people who go near or in Maryland. =P

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Oregon, USA
Originally Posted by fcrochik View Post
I don't have any intention to compete with all the other great location/gps packages but couldn't resist creating my own.

You should!!!! Google maps on iOS is the only thing I miss about my old iphone, and every maps solution on Maemo leaves something to be desired.

You should chat with the author of the ModRana application. He includes Google Maps search in his app, and fetching coordinates, etc.

Originally Posted by craftyguy View Post
You should!!!! Google maps on iOS is the only thing I miss about my old iphone, and every maps solution on Maemo leaves something to be desired.

You should chat with the author of the ModRana application. He includes Google Maps search in his app, and fetching coordinates, etc.
I have already the coordinates search for an address. What I am missing is what google calls "Place search" so you can look for business by name, monuments, ... and get the address/coordinates. Even more important google will give you nearby places first so you can find the nearest movie theather for example.

By the way: have you tried google maps on the macuco browser? Soon I will be able to have it use gps ...maybe another option for you

EDIT: I have downloaded modRana and you are right: it does search for places.

My maemo work:
For Harmattan:
For Maemo/N900:

Last edited by fcrochik; 2010-10-13 at 01:29.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fcrochik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
Hi!

Would it be possible to enable scrolling the map with your finger? The 4-direction buttons don't quite work as well, I think.

Looking really promising!

Please read my blog: "PeakMobility", which deals with MeeGo/Maemo, Windows Phone and mobile technology in general from a hedonistic user point-of-view: http://peakmob.blogspot.com/

Does it support Zoom In\Out functionality ?

Thanks for your effort . I really appreciate it .

The Following User Says Thank You to sands.m For This Useful Post:
Wow, that app looks really cool, well done! Look forward to trying it.

Posts: 251 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Finland, Vaasa
hi!

i gave i quick test for this and it looks neat. i ocassionaly have problem with freezing. the app frozen few times it just didnt do anything for a few moment. Dont know if that was just or because i use media player same time

to the directions it could be useful to have some sort of info about the route. lenght and time

nice!

EDIT: second time it didnt froze anymore, so it was my phone which caused it

Last edited by mele; 2010-10-13 at 11:02.