Active Topics

HI i was wondering
sais somewhere on the world wide web that the camera module of n900 is compatible with N85 N96 and some other model
could i swap it with the one of my old N95 8GB?
and if i did would it be better?
...i just sometimes thing the n95 took better pictures...

are you comparing final results or raw results?

Are you talking that the n95 does it better about the lens, the ccd, the color profile and white balance, the darkness compensation, the led flash, the jpg compression?

There are a LOT of thechnical issues when talking about photography, what are you trying to tweak?

Posts: 270 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by hassan_badredin View Post
HI i was wondering
sais somewhere on the world wide web that the camera module of n900 is compatible with N85 N96 and some other model
could i swap it with the one of my old N95 8GB?
Where exactly? I'm intrested.

and if i did would it be better?
Not worth the trouble, very probably not better.

...i just sometimes thing the n95 took better pictures...
Matter of taste = matter of metering/postprocessing.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mandibela For This Useful Post:
Posts: 270 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
Also, please take time to read: http://conversations.nokia.com/2010/...-all-the-faqs/

That article is about the N8, but most if not all the techical stuff is the same in all Nokia camera phones. All the software related decisions that were made in creating the software for ex. the N95 (sometimes producing 'nicer' images) would be huge problems in re-creating software if the camera of the N900 would be exchanged. So, it just wouldn't be practical.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mandibela For This Useful Post:
Posts: 79 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Devon, UK
Originally Posted by Mandibela View Post
Where exactly? I'm intrested.
I suspect he's probably referring to the CCP2 standard, which aims to define electrical and physical standards for miniature camera modules. It doesn't define the software interface though, so it's very unlikely to be as simple as just swapping the modules.

Good luck finding more information on it; the SMIA forum's domain registration seems to have lapsed.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sutaburosu For This Useful Post:
thanks for the answers

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Would be nice if someone can hack and get the N8 Camera to put into N900?

I would be very interested xD

The Following User Says Thank You to maxximuscool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 116 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ in states for now
<Removed racist comment.>

he things a picture of the n95 camera is better because it is displayed in a lower res screen

Last edited by xomm; 2010-10-15 at 01:53.

Posts: 95 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Mexico, Monterrey.
Originally Posted by bayernhan View Post
he things a picture of the n95 camera is better because it is displayed in a lower res screen
First of all, you need to actually have both phones to see the difference. I for one, have both phones (N900 and N95-1)

Here are the image comparisons, N95 have better colors, but the images are blurrier (most likely because the button of my n95 is harder).

Without Flash

N900

N95

WITH flash

N900

N95

Last edited by xomm; 2010-10-15 at 01:54. Reason: Removed response to racist comment.

Posts: 79 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Devon, UK
Originally Posted by mothmanex View Post
N95 have better colors, but the images are blurrier (most likely because the button of my n95 is harder).
I can't see much of a difference in the colours in the non-flash photos, but with the flash the N900 the white-balance is way off; you should try setting it to tungsten (i.e. incandescent lighting) when shooting in conditions like that.
I really don't like the over-the-top sharpening in the default N900 camera app. BlessN900 seems to yield much nicer results in that regard.