Notices

Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
I just read the great news. Congratulation to your shiny new Toy, RobbieThe1st!

I haven't donated, too - despite I had several moments I had really good use of your backupmenu. I'm able to feel your pain, but as several others I don't like paypal and because of that I have no account. (donated at the coding competition also only via a different method)

But I hope I have done a good deed with my recommendation's and to convince you to give it a second try. I tried to give you this way something back. Thanks for all your work and effort!
I hope you're able to make as great use of it as at our N900!

The N950 is anyway a lot more worth than 5 bucks. ENJOY HACKING AND DEVELOPING!
ORLY? I believe the N950 is possibly the worst thing to have ever happened to TMO.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
ORLY? I believe the N950 is possibly the worst thing to have ever happened to TMO.
If maemo has a future, then it is called MeeGo. We have to make the platform attractive for other vendors and developers. The most applications at the N9(50) works thanks to Qt at the N900. But they have to be done and also talented and gifted developers need time and devices for this work.
Nokia and Android had harmed maemo the past 12 month a lot more than the N950 and the currently happening migration to the future. The N9 is not for everyone (I love my N900 already a lot more because of the keyboard and the flash support) but it is the next step. And we have to show HTC, Samsung and LG how strong we are in hopes to give our future a new home. Nokia had already stopped to manufacture the N900 and they don't live forever. We need a successor before our retirement - a successor without Microsoft!

The Following User Says Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post:
Problem is that the N950/N9 aren't MeeGo(just a bastard hybridization of Maemo and MeeGo), and are quite locked down. Until Aegis is disabled, we won't get anywhere near the same sort of custimization as we do now. So, I can understand why it may be a bad thing for tmo.

As far as donations go, sure, I can setup bitcoin. I actually have a bitcoin wallet with 0.05 or so in it, thanks to messing with a gpu-based miner a while back.

That being said, I need to figure out a way to convert it to *real* money: Ebay and DealExtreme don't seem to take bitcoin...
OC freqs: 0:22,90 125:22,90 250:28,180 500:30,360 550:32,400 600:34,430 700:39,430 750:41,430 805:45,430 850:47,500 900:50,500 950:54,500 1000:58,500 1100:67,520 1150:71,520

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RobbieThe1st For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
I think you can exchange for Yen or Rubels, seriously. Some eTailers / Service providers also seem to accept coins.

Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
BitCoin generally deflative? In eneral, yes it as like this for a long time. What happened when that particular exchange got hacked, was exactly the opposite.
I know it's little off-topic here, but, because I don't want Robbie to be scarred off BitCoins, I think it's worth to mention that You're plain wrong here. First of all, BitCoin system was *not* hacked - only site of particular website-exchange (MtGox). Due to massive transactions from hacked accounts, price was dropped to pennies *only* for that particular exchange - MtGox competitors were running happily without problems. The funniest thing is that "hacker" failed to bypass cash limits on MtGox, so she/he achieved nothing, except creating some havoc. Even MtGox client haven't lost a pennie, cause unauthorised transactions were rolled back.

Long story short, talking that single exchange fail incident as proof of whole currency non-deflative character is just wrong. Of course, BitCoins value vs. other currencies isn't growing all the time, but, checking graphs from longer period of time, it's even more than linear growth.

---

As for Robbie's question - You can exchange real money (BitCoins) for goverments-manipulated, fake money currencies ( ) in many on-line exchange sites - althought don't expect transferring to "paypal dollars" anymore. Paypal, for obvious reasons, turned extremely hostile towards BitCoins lately, even crossing point of actively supporting frauds vs. BitCoins sellers. In result, most exchange sites stopped accepting Paypal or transferring to. Well, it seems that Paypal got nice traditions of supporting Fraud from it's big brother E-bay

There also are dozens of other methods - everything is elaborated on BitCoin organisation website & wiki.

---

Hey, Robbie, it's great that You're so aware of N950 drawbacks. It's nice to see that You're not "fooled" as many devs lately, abandoning their N900 projects and running with roars to code for "fake" Maemo 6/Meego hybrid. Instead, You're keeping sane overview of situation. Respect for that.

I also hope that N950/N9 will be jailbreaked, allowing it to run real, uncrippled Meego with UI like Cordia HD, for instance.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2011-08-10 at 00:32.

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
All the "N950 is harming our community" is dangerous fud. Why should at example Robbie abadon his backup menu project for the N900?
It is already working great and he is still doing a outstanding job.

Many of our most talented developers had already left our maemo platform in favor of Android and WebOS. And this trend is in my opinon a lot more dangerous.

If the developers are instead migrating to the N950 / N9 they are still on the same platform. Yes, it is a ugly maemo / MeeGo hybrid. But this similarities are perhaps not that bad for us. The most work done for the N950 is also working at our N900 thanks to Qt.
We can't stick to our good old N900 forever. We need at some point in the future a successor. Everything else is shortsighted or very egoistic. The N9 is definitively not a N900 successor because of several already discussed reasons. But it is a start into the MeeGo direction and personally I still hope for successors of this restricted device. Perhaps a "Samsung Universe" or a "HTC itsThisTimeYourDevice" - we will see. But without interest from the customers no other vendor will jump in.

RobbieThe1st had applied for a N950 in the first run. There was only a 30% chance to get such a device and so he was one of the unlucky guys. I read several frustrated posts from Robbie after his application was declined. And I wanted to change this. In my opinion he had well-deserved to get from Nokia a development-kit for free!
In my opinion his talents are not only limited to Linux scripts and CNC Milling. He had done a great work at this project and a outstanding job helping other people to save their a**.
Because of that I helped Robbie to get in touch with such a device.

He gave so much to our community and in the end he earned only a few bucks bounties. Thats not fair.

If we are in a half year able to jailbreak the N9 and get rid of this ugly DRM sh*t he will get a chance to bring backupmenu not only to the N900 but also to the N9. The N9 has because of the missing keyboard a extra obstacle and it would make it even harder to develop backupmenu for the N9. Because of this Robbie is now able to order a N950. So he would be able to test the core parts of backupmenu before we have to think about how we could control or automatize his application at the keyboardless device.

Without a N950 in Robbies Hands I' afraid that we will never see anything like our current backup solution in the future.

RobbieThe1st, If you don't want a N950 - please write qgil ASAP. But I still hope you are just curious and will have a look at the system.
A full functional backupmenu at the N9 is a dream, far away to get real. But perhaps a USB Mass Storage Mode if the N9 stops booting would help enought people to justify that you get a priceless N950 for free.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post:
Unfortunately, I've seen many talented developers rushing to N950 (and sudden of nothing, leaving - without any warnings before - they N900 projects), like kids to new toys after Christmas. Although, I agree that it's more said developers fault, than N950 one.

Still, It seems that Robbie got nothing common with said developers whose name we know and wont post here, so I promise I wont continue this off-topic here
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 249 | Thanked: 277 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Brighton, UK
I posted on here when I started using backupmenu to request that it only activate when a key is held down.

Robbie, you said I needed to speak to the bootmenu guy.

..well, I did. And they finally replied.

...and they say you need to fix a bug.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mr_jrt For This Useful Post:
First off, I only learned that I, infact, *am* getting an N950 last night. I didn't want to jump the gun until everything had been confirmed, but as the secret's out...
Yea. I'm not going to abandon my favorite N900 -- Currently, it still looks like there's plenty of things I'll need it for in my daily use -- simply try to port it over.
I will end up having to create a new UI, which may or may not be backported to the N900.

mr_jrt: what he's talking about, I know. Unfortunately, I *still* can't get Bootmenu to actually boot backupmenu *for me* properly - it just doesn't do anything, and I haven't really wanted/needed to mess with it yet.
So we'll see.
OC freqs: 0:22,90 125:22,90 250:28,180 500:30,360 550:32,400 600:34,430 700:39,430 750:41,430 805:45,430 850:47,500 900:50,500 950:54,500 1000:58,500 1100:67,520 1150:71,520

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RobbieThe1st For This Useful Post:
Posts: 560 | Thanked: 423 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Switzerland
I also got an N950, and I am trying to port my apps to it. As it looks now, I also have to rewrite the whole UI
How ever I am hoping that we one day will be able to run QML PySide apps on both devices.
Under no circumstances do I abandon the N900 neither do most other developers. Its just that many of us currently spend more time for the N950.
As for me, my apps on the N900 are in a good state and are working. How ever if I add new features to the N950 versions, I will try to backport them to the N900 versions.
CacheMe 4 the N9, a geocaching client / MiniBible, a bible viewer / TheWord brings daily bible verses onto your phone / BatteryGraph to monitor the battery drainage / doublepress2unlock to unlock your phone with a double press onto the power button / GPRS Data Usage to monitor your GPRS data usage /
and more...

On N900 check out this: SleepAnalyser to analyse your sleep movements / PasswordMaker a for a password generator

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to caco3 For This Useful Post:

Tags
backup, backupmenu, cssusupplement, max(useful), rescue-console, restore, system