Notices

Posts: 569 | Thanked: 462 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ USA
The time shown on my N900 is usually inaccurate, usually by about 3 to 5 minutes. I assume this time is sent by the cell towers to the phone.

The N900 probably doesn't have a clock crystal of its own inside, but is there any way via NTP or something to display an accurate time on a screen?

I would prefer an some app that can sync the clock with the GPS universal time. That would be awesome.

Originally Posted by rotoflex View Post
is there any way via NTP or something to display an accurate time on a screen?
Yes, openntpd is available in extras.

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Originally Posted by rotoflex View Post
The time shown on my N900 is usually inaccurate, usually by about 3 to 5 minutes. I assume this time is sent by the cell towers to the phone.
It is highly unlikely that cell phone provider has un-accurate time in towers. There are serious reasons to have a very accurate time and they actually have a special service which is much more accurate then NTP.

Most likely, you have disabled an update from cell tower. Go to Settings, Date and Time and verify that "Update automatically" is checked.

The Following User Says Thank You to egoshin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by egoshin View Post
It is highly unlikely that cell phone provider has un-accurate time in towers. There are serious reasons to have a very accurate time and they actually have a special service which is much more accurate then NTP.
IME they often get the time and even the timezone wrong.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Originally Posted by lma View Post
IME they often get the time and even the timezone wrong.
Yes, but this is a time-zone shift. I also experienced this in California but actual time was OK - it was wrong a time-zone interpretation by N900, I verified - network sent an accurate time.

It had nothing with 1-3-5min inaccuracy.