Posts: 604 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Phoenix, WA
Hi everyone, I think I'm ready to start experimenting with linux on my desktop pc. Can anyone make suggestions on where/what to start with?

Thank you

i will suggest you ubuntu. It's one of the better documented distribution around, console need is reduced to a minimum and it's very easy to test etc. ubuntu.com, download and follow instruction to make a bootable usb or cd, reboot and test. not even need to install.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to erniadeldesktop For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

use the "try ubuntu" option for testing and if you don't like it, just reboot and remove cd/flash drive and you can come back to your old os.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Yeah, Ubuntu is the way to go. Would also recommend some programs for you to try: Emerald, Compiz, Docky, Cardapio, Wine, Playonlinux, Virtualbox. Use youtube to look them up.

To find nice themes: www.gnome-look.org

Good blog: www.omgubuntu.co.uk

Make your desktop look awesome - use the AwOken Theme with the AwOken Icon Theme.

Add me on twitter @almehdin
Visit the swedish maemo/meego community forums

ubuntu.

there are some live cd distributions around which you could try out before. also you could install free vmware player so that you can run it inside windows.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Linux Mint is another option mentioned in the many, many threads of users here who asked the same question you asked.

Ubuntu is probably the right answer, but you might want to try Meego if you have netbook,or Smeego from SuSE

I'm guessing you're currently running some version of Windows. If so, and you have a multi-core CPU with at least 4GB of RAM (preferably 8GB), and the CPU supports the later generations of virtualization, I recommend running Ubuntu inside of VirtualBox.

That would be the best of both of your worlds, and most importantly, no rebooting involved.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
OpenSuse is one of the best supported distros IMHO both by Suse themselves and by third party applications.

http://www.opensuse.org

Dead easy to install using any method you prefer.

rgds

Posts: 234 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Genova (Italy)
In my opinion, Ubuntu is too much "Windows-like"... oh, yes, is very, very noob-friendly, but if you want to learn something about Linux, I think you should try something else (like OpenSuse )

The Following User Says Thank You to MaddogG For This Useful Post: