Posts: 235 | Thanked: 163 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Costa Rica
Hi:

I've searched for an app to manage my credit card expenses. I've installed and tested:

- Buddy
- Siggy
- Toshl

All of them excellent apps to manage expenses, but I don't think they are intended to manage Credit Card or bank accounts.

I've seen services like mint.com, however, I don't want to depend on Internet connectivity.

Any advice? Thanks!

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
Well I actually manage my bank accounts using the microB browser. Handles all the sites pretty well. Some banks also provide mobile apps (lloyds tsb here in the UK for example).

You say you dont want to depend on internet connectivity - I may be reading this wrong, but isnt an internet connection essential for online banking? Unless you're talking about just an offline app for managing accounts. Which I am not familiar with.

Originally Posted by afaq View Post
Well I actually manage my bank accounts using the microB browser. Handles all the sites pretty well. Some banks also provide mobile apps (lloyds tsb here in the UK for example)..

Yes, I can access al my bank accounts with microB, but sometimes is slow to log in etc.

Originally Posted by afaq View Post
You say you dont want to depend on internet connectivity - I may be reading this wrong, but isnt an internet connection essential for online banking? Unless you're talking about just an offline app for managing accounts. Which I am not familiar with.
Exactly, an offline app. I used one before in PalmOs, years ago, where I defined my Credit Cards and as soon as I do a purchase, I write down in the app, so I always have the current balance anytime in my phone.

Originally Posted by lsolano View Post
Exactly, an offline app. I used one before in PalmOs, years ago, where I defined my Credit Cards and as soon as I do a purchase, I write down in the app, so I always have the current balance anytime in my phone.
I think you could do that with one of the expense managers. After all - just create a master category of CC for each CC and add the expense against that with a sub category.

If you dont need to go online - then any good expense manager should suffice I believe.

Online Apps like MINT provide much more features than just storing the expenses - it adds budgeting, trends, graphing, alerts, etc also.

Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
After all - just create a master category of CC for each CC and add the expense against that with a sub category.
I use it that way, but I do not know how to register 'a payment'. I'll keep searching...

There are many applications available that you can opt for. I am using cash flow management software by Concur which helps me track every expense I place on my corporate or personal credit cards.

Posts: 359 | Thanked: 162 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Budapest
Originally Posted by Kalven View Post
There are many applications available that you can opt for. I am using cash flow management software by Concur which helps me track every expense I place on my corporate or personal credit cards.
They produce a version for maemo OS? I had a look at their site, seems like it's for MS Windows.

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
If you're looking for a local solution, I'd point you to MoneyDance. It's a java based app that can run on any platform, including the N900. I've detailed the install instructions here.

It's essentially Quicken or Money in a more open format. It accepts OFX and QIF formats, as well as CSV and direct entry. It also has a one-touch auto-download, if you let it save passwords and encrypt the data file. I've been using it over a year and it's pretty nice.

Originally Posted by lsolano View Post
Yes, I can access al my bank accounts with microB, but sometimes is slow to log in etc.

I'm searching also such an app. Actually I use Siggy and find it very good made, but you can add only expenses. So you must change manually every month the defult budget to start with a new saldo that includes the emolument or other incomings.

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 64 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Somerville, MA
I'm plugging my own application here, but I use PortaBase for this. I have a financial transactions database that I originally created in FreeCoins on a Handspring Visor, imported via CSV to the first version of PortaBase on my original Sharp Zaurus, and then kept updating in PortaBase on 2 new Zaurus models, the Nokia N810, and now the N900. You can define whatever columns you like, but I'm using:
  • Date
  • From account (using an enumeration of accounts, including expense categories like lunch, groceries, etc.)
  • To account
  • Description
  • Amount
  • Date cleared
  • Number (for checks, or to group split transactions)

I now have 10 years worth of transactions in the database, and the performance is still fine. (That's why I abandoned FreeCoins in the first place; the performance became abysmal before I even hit 2 years worth of data.) Granted, it isn't a dedicated financial tracking application; you can use an appropriate filter and the column statistics dialog to get the current balance of a single account, but there isn't a dedicated account balances screen, for example. But I've found the sorting and filtering abilities very useful, and well beyond what most finance applications offer in that regard. (Example: all money spent on gifts in transactions with "Jeff" in the description, ordered by descending amount.) This is one of my primary uses of the program, so I also plan to add more features to accommodate this usage in future releases.

The Following User Says Thank You to jmbowman For This Useful Post: