Notices

Poll: I think I would
Poll Options
I think I would

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
What I Want

I would very much like to see an application that does an enhanced contacts possible. For example, allow custom names on numbers, bigger images, possibly animations or videos, other stuff.

How I'd do it.

I don't write code for N900, but, as a coder, I'd implement this as a second database, where such data is stored. The ID from the contacts could be used as a link into the second database, where details could be added.

Alternately, the espeakcaller way, a folder that has a .cfg file for each contact where stuff could be added. One doesn't need to store the data in a database, but just contain links to files.

For example, a link could be added to a full-sized picture (or a list of pictures), a video (or multiple videos), phone numbers complete with type, details like free-form notes (text or RTF), a web page, and so on. They could be implemented as tabs.

For numbers, I'd use a syntax like (forgive me, I'm used to INI files):
[numbers]
0012345678=Home
321234544=Vodafone
21312312321=O2

When displaying the list of numbers, I'd look them up. If found, replace label. If not, the nothing. I realize editing numbers would ruin the link, but let's face it, people usually add and remove numbers, they don't edit them.

Similarly, it would have a:
[images]
1=/home/user/MyDocs/DCIM/12312312.jpg
2=/home/user/MyDocs/DCIM/23jpg
3=/media/mmc1/Images/Hello!.jpg

[videos]
1=etc

[notes] (assuming it will do multiple)
1=/whatever.txt

Also, this has the potential to support custom values, not only predefined ones, for example it could hold an infinite number for "Fields", all in text with label.

E.g.:
IBAN=RO01XXXXXXXXX
CC Number=0000-0000-0000-0000

Or, to ease addressing when editing,
[1]
Caption=CC Number
Text=0000-0000-0000-0000

I don't think this would be hard to do, in the sense that it's all been done before and open and free, and assuming a basic implementation. But it's quite some work if is to look good, and behave correctly.

I believe this would be a killer application. I have a ton of ideas, but I'd like to see what others would think of such an app.

Also, I believe a backup and restore would be in order. I vote for tarballing all the .cfg files to the SD card in a predefined location, maybe /media/mmc1/Backup/<datetime>.tar

How it would look

I think that in the end, the app will look similar to contacts, but more spartan, but instead of Mobile (work), the caption could read Mobile (Vodafone) or Phone (Bucharest).

How it would look cool

However, if you have time on your hands, and the skill, I designed a partial UI and made a few screenshots. After an hour with Photosh.. er, MS Paint I realized it'll be way, way easier to simply use a dedicated UI designer - so I actually built an application in Delphi for Windows and recreated the N900 UI (partially).

That's why there's a suspiciously Windows-looking bar at the top of each screenshot.

The attached images represent

* the root screen, with the name, picture, and list of available data.

* Contact (navigates to a screen similar to the normal contacts). Because it's basically same as Nokia's but with different labels, I skipped the ss.

* Images had a redesign to something less ... Nokia. The left control is a (vertically) scrollable one-image list, similar to Images, but one column. The rest of the screen is reserved for an image viewer. In its most simple form, a scaled, fixed control. Perhaps clicking it launches the viewer with the image as parameter, as the file manager does. Keeping it reasonable is also a goal.

Because there is little room for controls, I'd implement a press and hold menu on the left list, that has "Add image" and "Remove image". Implementation is self-explanatory.

* Videos weren't included. ideally, same as images. Could be an issue shoving a player in there.

* Notes would be similar to the text editor Nokia has at the moment, preferably rich text. Saves automatically when closing window.

Windows would be stacked (back button). Ideally, app would be full screen and one would swipe or have an overlay anchor in the top right for back and close.

I have also added a poll, if enough people want this maybe someone would be up to the challenge.

Me, I'd pay good money for this. Especially for the nice looking version.
Attached Images

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 561 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Spain
The basic idea I like but I think you can polish ...

Think how.

I love it. Most of it is just cool nice stuff but the custom labels is really really useful for me.

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Agreed, that's where it all started. Calling people on the other phone is really starting to be silly.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.