Active Topics

Hi,

My screen has gone black and no longer works. It sounds like the touch screen may still work (as there is a clicking noise when I press the screen). I can even call the phone and it will start ringing, however, for some reason, I am unable to answer the call by touching the screen where the "answer" button would usually be.
I have tried to retrieve all my data from the phone, however, when I connect the phone to my computer, it says I've connected my phone in a "non-compatible mode".
On my computer, it shows "removable drive f & g", however, there is nothing for me to access the phone's memory.
I've tried clicking on the on phone where I guessed the "PC suite mode" button would be, but it doesn't seem to work.
I am sure the phone is still working somewhat because:
1. When it starts up, I can hear the nokia tune
2. The keyboard still lights up
3. The LED light works as it should (flashing every now and again)
4. The side switch still turns the keyboard back-light on and off
5. I can still take pictures with the camera (as I see the flash goes off when I take a picture)
6. Touching the screen makes the normal 'clicking' noise.

Basically, I have 2 problems: I cannot see the screen, even whilst using TV-out mode and I need to access the phone's memory.
Clearly, the phone is not dead, so I am hoping that there's a way to retrieve all my pictures and files.

Nokia are happy to repair it under warranty, however, their policy is that they automatically wipe any data first, so I would lose everything stored on there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Brussels, Belgium
My first wild guess would be: did you install openssh or any ssh server on it?
If you answered yes to that question, you probably know how to connect to your phone via ssh, given that the phone is connected to your wifi of course.

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Australia
Try to use your TV out cable...!

Woops..sorry, this isnt working either.

Last edited by Markosib; 2010-11-02 at 02:45. Reason: Missread OPs post

Posts: 100 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ San Diego, CA
You need to hit the area on the screen where the "mass storage mode' button should be. It should then show up as a storage device on your computer.

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on May 2010 @ TMO
Originally Posted by ktchiu View Post
You need to hit the area on the screen where the "mass storage mode' button should be. It should then show up as a storage device on your computer.
He tried that already.

All Nokia Care Centers have a policy of saving Data before flashing the phone. A fee of $30 is charged in Australia, and similar prices in equivalent currencies...
So go to Nokia Care and ask them to save ur data...
Easy and Simple...

Originally Posted by Buzrael View Post
My first wild guess would be: did you install openssh or any ssh server on it?
If you answered yes to that question, you probably know how to connect to your phone via ssh, given that the phone is connected to your wifi of course.
Hi.

No, I have not installed this on this phone.

Thank you for the help though.

Originally Posted by ktchiu View Post
Hi.

When I connect the phone, the "safely remove hardware" window shows it as a mass storage device. However, on My Computer, it shows "removable disk f & g" when I click on both, it asks me to insert a disk.

I have tried clicking the screen, but to no avail, even though the touchscreen is clearly responding when I tap it...

Originally Posted by abhi.17oct View Post
All Nokia Care Centers have a policy of saving Data before flashing the phone. A fee of $30 is charged in Australia, and similar prices in equivalent currencies...
So go to Nokia Care and ask them to save ur data...
Easy and Simple...

Hi,

The reason I did not give the device to the people at the care centre is because I wanted to exhaust all options to retrieve my data before I hand it in.

At the centre, they could not retrieve the data for me as they said they could not access the right settings on the phone in order for the files to be saved onto a pc (obviously because the screen is black, and nobody knows where to click).

They told me that once my phone is sent off for repair, the data is wiped whether the phone is repaired or replaced. That is their policy for all phones.

-----------------

Surely it should just be one click of the screen for me to be able to access my files, but it is not happening. I cannot understand this, because the phone seems to be totally responsive, except for the black screen.

Thanks for all your help.

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Brussels, Belgium
Sorry to hear that, FowG
I would try another consulting Nokia Centre just to be sure there is nothing to do.
I guess you have read the other posts about people sending their phone for repair and their respective problems. I don't want to scare you off, just make sure you know what you are doing even thought you don't seem to have a choice here.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=64014

I found a thread created by someone with a similar problem, attempting to fix it blindly:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=64758
I hope this can help.